Blender for hull design

Discussion in 'Software' started by cutawaycafe, May 15, 2013.

1. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

Blender 2.8 now defaults to metric object dimensions.

Blender 2.8 was practically a total rewrite of blender - so many things changed with user interface, object hierarchy, units, tools... Compared to "pre 2.8", it's totally different than what you may have seen before.

One of the things that I find helpful for precise dimension-ing - when you scale or move something or apply an operation, you type in the dimension you want numerically.

Some of the funding for 2nd half of 2019 is being specifically allocated to work on snapping tools and precision modeling.

The blender development fund has some big sponsors onboard recently - current development funding is in excess of $84,000 USD per month: Blender Development Fund https://fund.blender.org/

2. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Wow this is a very big projects I hope to see more develop on thanks for your works..

3. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Looks great, I'm interested in seeing your next steps!

4. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

2019_10_15_v05.png
    Example showing bulkheads and stringers and one stringer removed to show notching in both bulkhead and stringer.

2019_10_15_v03.png
    Bulkheads with minimum floor height defined and hull plates separated into individual sheets.

2019_10_13_v07.png
    Example hull generated with bulkheads following parametric curves and plates separated by color with thickness added.

5. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

pafurijaz likes this.
  6. pafurijaz

pafurijaz Senior Member

Wow cool I check it now, and I share it everywhere I can :)

7. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

edzop/bpyhullgen https://github.com/edzop/bpyhullgen/blob/master/EXPORTING.md

export.png
    Added UI to test exporting files...

quick_hull.png
    Quick hull sample with plates separated automatically and unique color assigned by script during separation process

export_plate_svg.png
    Resulting plates flattened and exported via script... (export plates button)

export_dxf.png

Resulting plates cleaned and ready for nesting (import plates button)

Still work in progress but functional at this point...

8. zukobo

zukobo Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.