Julian Everitt E-Boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Pouakai, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Pouakai

Pouakai Junior Member

Hi All, I thought I'd tap the vast knowledge of this forum.

I'm interested in buying an E Boat 22, I've have sailed one but only in fairly light winds and not with any other boat to get a bench mark. So, does anyone have any experience of the performance, say in comparison to a modern 22 foot lift keeler?

Would be nice to hear some stories of voyages and speeds achieved etc.

They look to me similar to a modern solo boat, in being light and beamy, but obviously the rig looks strange now, tiny mainsail and symmetrical spin. Has anyone done any modifications? I would be interested in adding a gennaker or screecher on a removal bow-sprit (so one design layout was still possible).

I'm after a boat that I can sail with my family and also sail solo fairly easily and with some performance - this seems to fit the bill.

Grateful for any experience out there.

2. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

3. Pouakai

Pouakai Junior Member

Pogo, I had the links for the e-boat, but hadn't considered the evolution, thanks. The e-boat 22 fits the bill better though, both in price and ease to get it on and off the water.

4. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The Hunter Delta 25 is a good alternative.

5. Pouakai

Pouakai Junior Member

Thanks, but the E looks like more boat for the money, just be good to have some info on performance.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

The E Boat was an IOR Mini Tonner. The beam is very different from a modern boat in that the IOR rule required the stern to narrow and modern boats have nice, full sterns. The former will be less stable downwind in a breeze, the latter will surf/plane much more easily.

I suspect the E Boat will be a bit tippy upwind when shorthanded.

You can go to the Mini Ton Class (UK) website and probably get a lot of information from all the E Boat owners who are registered there.

7. Jasonsansfleece

Jasonsansfleece Junior Member

I built myself a plywood E boat in the 1980's. Did some club racing and cruising on the Solent (UK) Also several trips across the English channel.

The small main/ big genoa set up requires the right size headsail for any given wind strength as well as the right amount of crew on the rail. If the boat is not up right then she will make lee way.

Although the stern is wide the run aft is not flat. She would surf off waves but I never recollect planing.

There are no doubt more modern designs that sail better but I still think its a great little boat (I am drawn to things IOR, even though I am now a bigoted multi hull sailor) The abillity to trail the boat your self is an advantage and can save on storage bills. I saw one at the Southampton boat show 1985 and three months later I had bought a set of plans.

She was my second boat and the first I took offshore. Six weeks after launching my GF and I set off, cross channel, for Alderney (60 nm)
    45 miles out the plywood core rudder broke. The only direction I could sail the boat was to windward which was not going to get us home any time soon. We had been broad reaching for seven hours in 15kts wind and big seas and we where faced with going back "up hill" in a rudderless boat, across one of the busiest water ways and inexcuseably I had no flares or VHF.
    At that moment, just 15 minuets after the rudder broke a boat appeared on the horizon and by holding up a red inflatable mattress we caught her attention and she changed course. She was a ferry out of Cherbourg bound for Ireland. She put her self to windward, opened a door at water level and a sailor with a coir rope fender and a deck officer appeared. I explained our predicament and they offered a tow to Ireland or abandon the boat and be taken to Ireland.
    When you are sick, tired ,inexperienced, frightened it is easy to let others take control, but I remember knowing that either of these options where not right. I asked if they could radio the Life boat from Alderney and they did.
    They also kept us in their lee until the life boat arrived.
    The life boat put a man on board with us, secured a tow rope and streamed a drouge and towed us to Alderney where we where well taken care of. The boat was tied up whilst some bystanders took us home for baths and bed.
    We flew back to Southampton and I returned the next weekend with a new rudder (vertically laminated spruce and iroko!)

A little E boat content and a lot of anecdote!
    I could attempt to answer any questions
    Guy

8. Pouakai

Pouakai Junior Member

Guy, thanks for the info. I too am a bigoted multi sailor, exploring this option to get on the water quickly while I get some funds together for a bigger tri. The more I look into this though, the more I think I'm just not going to be able to stomach sailing at mono speeds. I do enough of that instructing! I think I might not bother with the e-boat, I'll just stick to sailing my cat without the family for as long as I can get away with it!

Thanks for your help, Dan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.