Blackrock 24 (Build)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by LP, Mar 12, 2013.

  1. LP
    Joined: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,411
    Likes: 57, Points: 58, Legacy Rep: 584
    Location: 26 36.9 N, 82 07.3 W

    LP Flying Boatman

    Sail #2 was a long time coming. It went quite smoothly. I believe most trouble issues were dealt with and now I’m working fine tuning different elements on the boat.

    Light winds were expected for the day and no reef lines needed rigged. The boat launch was busy, so we wanted to get on the water quickly before no parking was left. Our launch time was only twenty minutes which is quite encouraging. Admittedly, the sails were not bent on and the boomkin was attached after launching. The boomkin stows in the cockpit and is extended through the transom where it is bolted and wing nutted in place. This was a too long 30 minutes more before we were ready to shove off. In the future, I think I could unfurl the sails in the cabin and install the full length battens before ever leaving the house. I definitely see further improvement in set up time.

    Initially, there was almost no wind so the hour was spend motoring out to open water. Tiring of the noise, the engine was cut and it he sails hoisted. To our pleasure, there was enough wind to actually move us along at about 1/2 a knot and the course let the main shadowed the cockpit. I pulled out the unmounted wind indicator occasionally when I felt I had lost the wind and surprisingly it worked quite well finding the wind while being hand held in the cockpit. There was a wind shift after 30 minutes with a nice increase, also. Our gps speed indicated 3.5 kts.

    I used one of the main reef lines as a down haul which worked well for tensioning the luff. Gravity is a wonderful thing, when it’s working with you. I will mostly likely set up a permanent down haul for the main. I’ve been successful so far in not needing a winch. Here the main is seen drawing quite well. I’m guessing the wind between 6 and 8 kts.

    B4C0F0B7-B7F1-4DA7-ACBA-CE9F9E10C9A1.jpeg

    Here we have a couple of images of the mizzen. I really like how the full length battens help to set the sail shape. Also, then boomkin is in the lower image. It was definitely needed. You’ll note the fouled mizzen sheet. I need to extend the boomkin a few inches or adjust where the sheet attaches to the boom.

    FC64EB4D-9E73-442B-A4D6-37C214E1C809.jpeg
    E419834B-F459-4D1A-AD97-BDA2949D4596.jpeg

    I had minor issues with the rudder still. Too much torque on the hinge bolt kept me from easily extending it. Once down and bolted, the rudder functioned perfectly. Balance on the boat is quite good and can be adjusted through mizzen sheeting. I hope to experiment with tying off the tiller (with lines and bungees) and adjust mizzen sheet angle to see if I can get some self steering happening.

    Progress is still happening. I’m finishing construction on the inside and starting to work the electrics. Ordering cushions or ordering foam for cushions is on my hot list. Deciding whether to simply purchase the interior cushions or make them myself.

    Cheers to all.
     

  2. LP
    Joined: Jul 2005
    Posts: 1,411
    Likes: 57, Points: 58, Legacy Rep: 584
    Location: 26 36.9 N, 82 07.3 W

    LP Flying Boatman

    Here is a link to a short video taken during this sail.

     
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.