Replacing windshield panes on my motor cruiser

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Carioca, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Carioca

Carioca Junior Member

There are 3 (three) windshields in the cockpit, each one around 60 cm x 60 cm, a central one which is one-piece and fixed, while the port and starboard ones are comprised of two pieces ' bottom part (1/3) fixed and top part (2/3) swivelling out on a piano hinge'.

I am refurbishing the panes (6 mm PCB) with new ones and thought of redesigning the above windsheilds as follows:

Option 1. Change the Port and Stbd panes to ' 2/3 fixed (bottom) and 1/3 on piano hinge (top) swivelling out '.

Motivation ? Minimise water ingress when running in swells as the top piece is usually left partly open for much-needed ventilation.

Option 2. Port and Stbd panes to be one-piece and fixed; central pane to be two-piece, 2/3 fixed (bottom) and 1/3 (top) swivelling out.

Motivation ? Improve the captainĀ“s visual facility due to use of a single piece of pane on Port and Stbd. Two-piece central pane will provide the needed ventilation.

Option 3 . Instead of refurbishing with 6 mm PCB sheeting, substitute with 6 mm tempered glass - or would 8 mm tempered glass be the correct equivalent of 6 mm PCB ?

Motivation ? Much less prone to scratching while also easier to clean and leave sparkling.

Will have to decide within the next 24 hours or so......... much obliged for timely responses !

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Instead of tempered glass use laminated, which is tougher and a lot safer. As to your ventilation requirements, you'd be best able to determine how you'd like your cockpit flow. The two piece centrally located arrangement sounds good to me, but to be honest, I'm having a hard time visualizing your situation. Maybe some photos? Personally, I'm not a fan of single or double hung windshield arrangements, preferring a top hinged affair instead.