BioDiesel

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by edneu, Jan 28, 2003.

1. edneu

edneu Junior Member

Did anyone see the Woodenboat Article (latest Issue) on the 16' low speed diesel launch (featured on the cover) which runs on Vegatable oil? Turns out the the author of the authoriatative book on the subject (From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank - by Joshua Tickell) lives or did live in Tallahassee Florida which is near to me. I plan like to contact him. The are some interesting Bio-Diesel websites and you can buy Biodiesel from from the pump in San Fransisco. Joshua Trickell apparently toured the US in a BioDiesel camper for two years.

Apparently, little or no engine modifications are required to run this fuel in a diesel engine. The Woodenboat article used a 8hp Yanmar single. Some modification of the fuel, such as the addition on methonol and lye may be required. The real benefits is reduction in emmisions, and the exhaust smells like french fries rather than combusted diesel fuel.

My concerns would be in using used cooking oil as fuel, alot of filtration would be required. Diesels are pretty fussy about fuel quality in my experience.

Anyone heard of this? Any thoughts?

2. yipster

yipster designer

3. midnightkayaker

midnightkayaker Junior Member

The bio-diesel boat idea may be the next great idea for those of us who don't need to tear down the waterways at XX gal/mile. I have 600 feet of waterfront to maintain here in Southern Maryland and boat wakes, noise and the smell of diesel in the morning are on my short list of things that bug me. you can buy bio-diesel on the Eastern Shore of MD but I haven't heard of it being available at any of the marinas yet so you would have to get a pickup piggy back tank to fuel your craft. Like most alternative energy practices it takes more effort and planning and ergo gets sidelined by the mainstream. I'm afraid we won't see any widespread use until lite sweet crude hits $100 a barrel.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.