Bio-diesel

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Boston, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ok I picked up a bunch of bits and pieces for my oil cleaning rig and buried at the salvage place was a Breese Burner. Looks like it burns waste oil and is a mini furnace of some kind. I've pretty much taken it all apart and it seems to be intact. Not sure how it works but I'm going to light something on fire and find out pretty soon.

wish me luck otherwise I'm likely to end up a crispy critter

anyone know anything about Breese burner's
    looks like its straight out of the 40's or 50's

I'll post a few picts soonest

ok found a label
    model # HB 7CGR serial #8479
    115 v-60cy 14w as motor
    pat # 1660857
    oil devices
    Chicago Ill - Santa Fe NM
    made in USA <------ so there Mark

hmmm
    patent comes up as a different burner
    this ones way more elaborate than the one shown by the patent office

ok found about ten more patent numbers on this thing

its this one, patented in 1933 to control gravity feed oil to the burner
    the first patent # I listed was the burner itself which I have but its not all that self evident as its only pictured as a cylinder.
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2068138.pdf
    and I have the fan controller as well
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2343188.pdf

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I read somwhere that fuel at the local pump is only filtered to 50 microns.

Im not sure just at what micron measure damage starts on the injection pump and anyway I would think common rail would be less sensative.

3. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Sorry I have not read the thread from scratch, only bits and pieces, but this is one subject I do know a lot about.
    Firstly I have been making Bio for the past 5 years literally thousands of liters has passed the pumps on my cars. both put together would equate to nearly 200K kilometers driven on nearly 100% bio or (B100)
    The big thing with bio it has to be done correctly! don't take shortcuts!
    The better the Quality of raw oil the better and higher the yield of diesel at the end. Yes it does have a short fall in winter, but this can be overcome quite easy. I have pre heaters on my fuel line before it reaches the fuel filter, you only need to heat it up to just above 20degC, that's it. Also I mix 25% diesel 75%bio or B75 in winter Works down to -10degC no probs. The raw oil also plays a part in winter, only use liquid oil as a base, solidifying oils and lards are OK for summer but not flash as it gets colder. Cotton seed Canola Sunflower all great winter raw bases.
    I will not get into the technique of making that's another story altogether but as I said it must be done right, using Methanol and KOH to crack the oil then it needs to washed WELL! and then dried. My Bio goes through x2 10 micron filters even before it sees the tank, its better and cleaner than any store bought crap. My cars run smoother are more economical and more powerful with bio, and with no black smoke just a blue white puff every now and then that smells like Overcooked chips.
    I plan to use it in my boat when I finally finish it.
    Katoh
    Ps. If its a really old diesel you will need to change fuel hoses and seals as bio eats rubber, the new stuff is OK I think from 1983 onwards.

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I got a chemistry professor buddy up at CSU who is helping me with designing a nice set up to process bio. I'll make some to mix in with the WMO. Also you are right in that the 10 microns or so is sufficient. I kinda wasted money on this centrifuge but I'll use it anyway now that I have it and the pump to run it.

cheers and welcome to the group

5. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

The actual chemistry is not really a big deal, if you get your waste oil from the same place every time you only need to work out your amounts once. You do that by doing small batches say 1/2 liter, find what works the best.
    Put it this way, after a while you just look at your WVO (Waste Veg Oil) and guess, the methanol stays at a constant, its just your KOH that changes.
    I apologize again I haven't read the hole thread, but what is the centrifuge for?
    Katoh

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

A centrifuge is great at separating water in purely mechanical systems, it takes the place of settling mostly although there is some controversy over which is more effective. It also is advertised as being able to filter down to about 0.5 microns. Also under debate. I have about a 200 gallon/batch capacity for WMO and about a 50 g/b capacity on WVO or will once my system is all set up. Being welded together now over at the neighbors house. I am fortunate in that I have stable sources of waste fuels available and also in that I have an old IDI international diesel engine in a two tank Ford POS truck to experiment with. My take is to play with it till I get the process down and then move on to powering my retirement yacht with the stuff.

I'd also really like to find additional non traditional waste oils that I might try my system out on. Macro algae and various byproducts of the fishing industry for instance.
    My chemistry Prof buddy is coming in handy as CSU is big into algae based bio diesel research.

7. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Boston, Sounds really good all of what you are doing. The biggest thing that I have found is just make sure its nicely washed then dried. your on the right track by the sounds of things. If anyone tells you otherwise, their full of *****, I have had many a disagreement but people are starting to come around slowly, there's nothing wrong with it and its better for the environment and the motor but not the oil companies.
    A word of caughtion keep this to yourself as much as you can, as the excise tax man will come knocking for his cut, and a fine too. The government doesn't like loosing its revenue!
    Katoh

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

excise tax ?
    you gotta be kidding me

9. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

I'm not sure what the rules are in the US but I know of people who have been done in Aus. The Government wants its 48c/liter. In England I think you can brew up to 2500Liters a year before questions get asked. don't quote me on that just what I have read in other forums. that's not much only 50liters a week.
    Look at it this way its considered in the same class as Alcohol, why then is moonshine so illegal? No Excise tax, same as why cant you grow your own tobacco, Why do they put dye in diesel, there's different colors for transport then rural? TAX!
    Just be careful.

10. MAD JAX

MAD JAX Junior Member

Ships 'n Sails 'n Sealin' Wax ; )

Awesome thread guys!!! (Oh, and "MUMZ" the wurd! ; )

11. wardd

wardd Senior Member

in the us unlike pot you can brew bio for your own use, just can't sell it

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ok so the US gets about 1/2 of 1% of its fuel from Libya but the cost of fuel just jumped 16% or it did around here. So whats going on at the dock. Someone figure out what there fuel cost two weeks ago and what it costs today, I'm kinda curious whats going on elsewhere

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

I just paid $4.05 for diesel. Of course they will tax it as it becomes more viable/main-stream. It is what a government gone wild does.
    Common rail is far more sensitive to junk, Frosty. A half-teaspoon of water gets through and you will have at least near ten thousand dollars damage on your two little common rail whatevers. I have a single straight six with unit injection and it will cost me $7,800 plus labor if I let water get through, more if I do cylinder and piston damage, then the turbo with a nozzle tip bouncing around in there.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im not aware of any diesel that runs happily on water.

I dont have 2 little common rail what evers!!!

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

well the guys down the street collect about 2000 gallons every week and say I can have all I want
    I'm having my neighbor weld up some plate steel sometime next week into that 200gallon bed tank I probably mentioned earlier and I'll be including the filter mechanisms in a small internal compartment as well as the pump pressure regulator and what not. Means I"ll be self contained and not have to do a lot of fuel transferring between the truck and the backyard.

I'm still debating the hassle of making actual bio-diesel in the back yard, I suppose all I need is that heater set up but the fire danger involved is pretty high

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.