Bimini Top Installation question 190BR

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Beech2000, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Beech2000

Beech2000 Senior Member

Has anyone installed a bimini top using the windshield frame for center support:confused:

If so where can I but the fittings:?:

I have many boating catalogs and viewed many web sites but can't seem to find hardware source for installing bimini top like the newer boats:(

Love to hear responce.:)

Thanks Kevin

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Perhaps your definitions are different down there... around here a Bimini is a fabric top that's freestanding, has no sides and is not attached to the windshield.
    Attaching the front of the bimini top to the windshield would make it a 'sport' top, at least with the terminology I'm familiar with. Stainless-steel snaps are usually used for this. The frame for the top, usually of aluminum or stainless tube, often needs weird fittings and this is where the local chandler comes in handy. The purpose-made fittings will be expensive if you buy them individually; if you don't mind the homebuilt look and are reasonably handy it's not hard to just weld up some of your own out of appropriately sized pipe scraps.

3. Beech2000

Beech2000 Senior Member

Thanks for your reply Matt.

The definitions are the same. Free standing with no sides. 2 pole framing usually supported at middle by deck bracket usually drilled into boat and secured with front and rear strapping. http://www.iboats.com/mall/?cart_id=650985351&session_id=486408924&view_id=92317

My question is that the newer boats have that center frame attached at rear of windshield frame/wings rather than securing to boat via deck mounts and I wish to do the same.

I am looking for center support window frame brackets intstead of deck mounts.

Thanks

Kevin

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

You're talking about supporting the poles themselves on the windshield frame then... this isn't unheard of, but if the windshield wasn't designed for it originally, it could crack it. There's an awful lot of stress on those fittings, far more than you might expect, so they need to be on something solid and strong.
    If you find the parts commercially they might be expensive- you might be better off to make your own fittings if you have an unusual geometry.

5. Beech2000

Beech2000 Senior Member

That's correct,

The Taylor Made window looks exactly the same as the new Sea Rays. It even has the pin lock as the new ones have.

Not sure but might be able to buy them from Sea Ray for a fee but thought hardware would be available from the Boat stores.

Kevin

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.