Bimini top cover idea

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sdowney717, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

I made top where the pole pass through the cloth. It worked a few months then the winds tore the fabric and the stitching.

I decided I dont really like it and dont want to just fix it like it was.
    I have been looking at those lashed on tops, basically a flat cloth cover with many eyelets and you lash it round the tubing,

So do you think it will look strange to do that with a bimini type of frame? It wont have the side lashed on just front and rear.
    It could be more easily taken down off the tubing. And it can still fold up.

It would be good? to have a wire rod reinforcement in the edge? So the lash would pull on the whole fabric edge?
    Or just folded cloth with eyelets?
    Any ideas on that, how to make it?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Properly built bimini tops of quality materials last for years. Can you post a photo of the top?

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

It is a standard 1 inch type SS tube frame with 4 bows.
    2 outer 2 inner bows.
    Properly built well you know I sewed the thing, so go figure.;)

I like the idea of being able to take off the cloth. I have seen zippers sewn into them to allow for that.

I just think it would be easier for me to create a top with grommets that is then just lashed around the tubes on the ends. Perhaps use the flat strapping to secure inner bows to themselves and the outer tubes.

Has anyone ever seen that done for a bimini frame?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Yes, it is a common way of doing it. However, you are more limited to the shape of the top. Zippers make it easy to take the cover off. You could combine zippers with laced ends.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.