Wing Mast Construction

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Phill Wise, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Phill Wise

Phill Wise Guest

I am interested in building a carbon fibre wing mast for my 56 foot catamaran. Does anyone know the layup for it or where I can get the information about it.

2. NiklasL

NiklasL Student member

Well done you are searching! All you need is patience.

I don't know where you live, what type of boat you have (weight, year, model etc.) and your experience. So the easiest way to help you with what I know now is:

Search the net with ie "google" for "wingmast" and read everything. Look for links and mail adresses to people and companies experienced with your interest (bookmark).
    Look for contacts/companies in your contry and discuss with them how they can help you.

Some reading: http://www.tspeer.com/Wingmasts/mast.htm

3. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

4. bill hanna

bill hanna Guest

Hi: I have female tooling for sale for such a mast along with laminate design.

The mold is located in Southern California and could be crated and shipped.

Let me know if you have any interest.Regards, Bill

5. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Go to my website, www.sponbergyachtdesign.com, and go to the page on Free-standing masts. Read that through as it gives a lot of basic information about mast design. There are no standard designs because each mast has to be designed to the stability characteristics of the boat. But I do have methods to build a wingmast without a mold, and I have designed wingmasts for multihulls.

Regards,

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.