What the heck did I see?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by leakbox, Mar 24, 2006.

1. leakbox

leakbox New Member

All,

Going home from work in traffic yesterday, I went back and forth past an odd vessel that I had never seen before. On a trailor behind a van, a guy was pulling a home made boat about 15 feet long or so. It looked like it was built from a frame of 1 x 2s, and on the sides and stern he had trapped hundreds of large plastic soda bottles within the framework! I think the angled bow and floor were sheeted in either plywood or aluminum, and around the lower half of the bottles, he had shot inflatable foam around them (presumably to prevent the interior from getting wet...) He had bolted a couple of old naughyde car seats in the middle, and had oars positioned in locks on top of the side wood frames. One of the oddest and bizarre things I'd ever laid eyes on. School project? Eccentric hobby? The guy driving it looked like your average Joe.

Has anybody ever heard of, seen, taken pictures of, found plans, or know where I could provide evidence of this oddity for my buddies?

Greg

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

The boat you saw sounds really weird and bizarre, but how about this one?

Attached Files:

3. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

boat build of bottles

Jos Moonen from belgium build a boat from empty PET bottles and silicon glue. He sailed it from Belgum to London and i saw it in person during our queens birthday in Amsterdam, a friend of mine talked to Jos. Apperently he lost bottles every now and then but as he put the caps on before gluing them togetheg (clever fellow) this was not a problem.

This seems a way to build a sort of reliable watercraft on a low budget

Never heard he escaped to US but similarities are clear.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.