Something stupid ..... TOO LATE!

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by DianneB, Jan 27, 2010.

1. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

I went and done it, picked up a poor old Sylvan 21 footer in need of TLC. To say "it needs to be brought back a bit" would be a wild understatement! It is solid, serviceable, and reliable but not very pretty any more (just like me!) pretty much needs to be gutted and rebuilt (NOT like me! :eek: )

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/diannebest/Boat Project/Before/

The dealer will haul it in sometimes in the next month and I will go through it with a fine-toothed comb to see if it is seaworthy. If it is safe, I would like to do a few runs on it before I start the rebuild to see what (if anything) I want to change, what works well, and what needs to be improved.

Seems I now have a hole in the water in which to pour my money! :(

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is not that bad. The rivets look tight.

3. Zed

Zed Senior Member

Blow the boat.... I want you for your shed! I'm nothing if not transparent... :D

Don't tell hubby, I will just sneak around with your shed in the wee hours... no one will notice, promise!

Seriously, looks like a good fun sensible little boat. I reckon she will be very rewarding to clean up!

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

BOAT: break out another thousand.

JEEP: just empty every pocket.

5. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I suggest turning it in a Rat Boat. (just like a Rat Rod). You are half way already!

The layout is curious to me. Typically a boat to load some ladies, but seating is not nice and cosy...

6. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It looks doable, with a lot of work. (and a bucket of money). Sylvans were pretty nice, solid boats. So the hull should be sound. But the interior looks pretty bad. You'll probably have to remove the sole and replace it, but that will also give you a look at the inside of the hull. Go buy a sawzall.

Good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.