big tents

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rberrey, Feb 6, 2011.

1. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

It,s time to buy a 22'x40' tent, any sugestions on where to buy and what type tent to buy. rick

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

You must have a large harem.

4. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I couldn't afford to build a boat if I had a large harem

5. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

1 person likes this.
  6. SeaJay

SeaJay Senior Member

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

Knotty's tent is good for snowload. Canadians seem to use these type of tents much more than we do here and if it can survive their weather, it can survive AL (They call your hurricane force winds "windy today"). One trick they use a lot in Canada is to use ecology blocks http://www.precastsystemsllc.com/precast/products/ecology_blocks.php to gain height and increase stability in a blow (These things are cheap, sometimes free, as concrete companies want to get rid of them. They are poured every time a concrete company mixes too much concrete) It is still not taxed as a "permanent structure" in states I know. The company Cat posted has made good products that I have seen last. If you don't have a specific clearance/snow load consideration, I think arches are easier and offer more interior utility than bow-roofs.
    Nice job, Knotty

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I kept up with your tent build on bateau Knotty,if I built one like you I would,nt want to tear it down. Your boat will be 28', will two feet on each end be enough room. rick

9. KnottyBuoyz

Nope. We're sticking another 40" into the length of the boat. I have to build an alcove on the front of the shed so I can get around it. I built the shed as big as I could.

10. CatBuilder

This is a good link, but these "TekSupply" tents are just Farmtek using another name for marketing to make their products seem less "farmy", FYI.

Same company as my link in post #2

11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Wind might end up being an issue so your style tent might hold up better Cat. I have,nt decided on my building site yet, the best site I dont own. I want a slab to work off of and anchor the tent down to, I hate to put the money into something I wont own. I have a few more weeks to look for a suitable lot to buy , but the tent is a given wherever I build. Knotty you cant wait on the tw30?

12. CatBuilder

Definitely get a slab. I couldn't even imagine not having one now that I do.

It makes everything you do go more quickly and keeps things drier.

Anchoring the tent is great with a the slab too - especially given you're in AL. I used 4 (qty) 6" Red Head concrete anchors per "foot" of my building. The building has 26 "feet", with 4 6" Red Heads in each foot, for a total of 104 (qty) 6" concrete anchors holding my building firmly to the pad.

The ribs are going NOWHERE. The cover would tear to shreds in a hurricane, but my hulls would be firmly kept inside the ribs, for better or for worse.

Something to think about...

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

I disagree on the slab unless your tax man isn't too aggressive. A good alternative is OSB on sand above grade. Comfortable to work on, cheap, replacable, and still not a fixed structure, hence not "improved property". Once you are pouring concrete, you are into the realm of the property tax man and may as well build a real building for longer life and resale.

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Depends on your area of operation. Locally the cheapest enclosures are... rented steel scaffolding, plastic tubing roof beams , covered in heat shrink plastic film . Very robust and the steel scaffolding serves a double job... off ground work platform and a robust tent base...

15. KnottyBuoyz

We've seen early drawings for a TW34. It's been 3-4 years in the works. I've only got 3 yrs & change till I retire so time is the issue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.