Big steering wheels

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fanie, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Why do boats have such large steering wheels ?

Is it so one can make small corrections or do one use a lot of force to steer or both ?

Can one use a push-pull steering mechanism on small yachts that steer the rudder ? I see most guys have a piece of pipe they steer with.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Ahhh Fanie, I would love to stir (not you so I won't) If there is loading then the design is poor I reckon it is just to hold on to something.

The extensions are to enable steering whilst leaning out using a trapeze and some of the older vessels such as square riggers, had about 12 turns lock to lock to use automobile jargon.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Some of the bigger boats have two wheels. It is not so two people can steer at once. Same reason as a large wheel, it allows the helmsman to site the sails and what is approaching as well as contributing to ballast on the windward side or lee side in light air.

Rick W.

4. Loveofsea

Loveofsea New Member

5. masalai

masalai masalai

You do not need to go volvo, Joystick has been around for ages. A 20m alloy cat that was used in the passenger run to Magnetic Island _ off Townsville, Queensland, Australia used a joystick for control of 2 x 450 hp cummins and steering. It cruised at about 24 knots with 110 to 150 passengers (different configurations as it initially went into service in the 80's for Hayman Island I think. It sold recently for less than Au $440,000. Would make an excellent live aboard!

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I can imagine the tug of war if it's a man and (hard-headed) wife eh !

I have made my motorboat joystick control some time ago, but converted it back to the steering. It may have it's place but was a bit sensitive on a planing powerboat. A progressive control would have given better results though.

7. yipster

yipster designer

on tv i saw the incat ferry steering wheel in a armrest big as your thumb

8. tuks

tuks Junior Member

http://en.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&page_id=33
    Here are some steering systems, if you want to go with a spade rudder and a wheel.

A transom hung rudder with a tiller is simple and easily removable, which is important for a trailerable boat. In a 10m monohull, I would go for a tiller, but im not sure what the steering loads on cats are like. If you go for a transom hung rudder dont underestimate the loads, they are bigger than you might expect.

9. masalai

masalai masalai

The original one was on the "bench" forad of the pilots throne. I saw another one with a dicky little wheel, as fancy as all getout just like the sailing ships of olde but pinched from a model and only 2 inches in diameter. As my lady of the time said "It's soooo cute!"

I think the sunferries one afectionately called "the bucket" was about hull#6 from incat.

10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I may get a small round wooden table and screw some wooden draw knobs around the edge :D

This is cool, if there are no specific reason for having to use a BIG steering wheel (could have doubled for anchor) then I may look into making a rack and pinnion type steering mechanism.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Hay Fanie, you are a multihull sailor! Keep the weight down and adhere to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Oh, and go on a diet, 200kg body mass is tooooo big, where is the reserve buoyancy for that white pointer shark or black marlin?

A tiller with extensions, and some lashing so that it can be tied off quickly while you haul in that fish/mermaid?

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I'll see how things turn out once I'm on the water

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.