Big ships with simplified hull shapes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 1J1, Dec 15, 2016.

1. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

Hello!
    Recently I was viewing the HOSMAX 300 platform supply vessel series & what caught my attention was a very cheap & simplistic hull shape -

[​IMG]

- basically the underwater part somewhat resembles a hydroplane's hull. You can get a better insight looking at the GA plan http://hornbeckoffshore.com/public/...drawings/HOS_Red_Dawn_General_Arrangement.pdf & especially a middle section - flat & angular. From specs sheet, Max Speed: 12.0 kts & Cruise Speed: 10.0 kts.
    I'd like to know how having such hull shape affects the performance... no maths, just suggestions & thoughts. Would a similar hull (less blunt on plan view though) be capable of reaching higher speeds like 15-18 kn or it would require more power than for a streamlined smoothed hull of same size to reach same speeds?

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Okay, let's forget mathematics and use common sense to answer this difficult question: Is a hull in the form of a shoe cage more efficient, from the hydrodynamic point of view (I'm not talking about cargo hold volume or stability), than a hull with normal shapes?.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, of course speed would be improved with a rounded bilge, but it doesnt seem a prioroty on the SOR..
    Check out the Tank Capacities, Water Ballast, Mud and Methonal - it seems stability and space are the priorities.

4. Devu De Goa

Devu De Goa Junior Member

Construction will be much simpler and hassle free. For such ships which have most of the accommodation and machinery at forward, this is a valuable gain in space. Try comparing the shape for example with this other GA I found on internet.

Attached Files:

5. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

Thanks, a lack of rounded bilges on a ship of such size is what confused me at first. As I see, such flat shapes are very common for most of modern built US-suppliers... Vessel in Devu De Goa's post in most of it's lenght looks bulky, with simplified stern & rounded bilges through it's length.
    From that pic in my first post, as I understand, most of the water is "heavily" pushed aside by perfectly vertical bow, while less part is "lightly" pushed down & down-aside. I would guess sharp edges where planes intersect create much swirls along the bow in that area as the flow suddenly cuts off on going down & aside... Also, wouldn't angular/flat hull suffer from much stress due to slamming in rough seas?