Big Ship Steel Plate Curving Process

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Dec 26, 2018.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

These videos of large ship construction amaze me, but I was really taken with the part where they have to curve thick steel for the hull (near the end, at about 39:07 minutes) Totally awesome.

Curvers.png

waikikin likes this.
  2. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

I believe the process is called "Line Heating". I first saw it done when my class went to a shipyard which built steel workboats. We saw a man with a blow torch and a water wand. The forman, taking us on this tour, said that fellow was making $100 an hour. By selectively heating and cooling the plate, he was able to get it to buckle in a very controlled fashion. This is a way to put a compound curve in a flat steel plate without expensive plate rolling gear.

rwatson likes this.
  3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Hardest job in flange turning is actually straightening something. While there is skill required for heat and quench, to form the curves is fairly easy in the "thin" (for shipbuilding) plate. Notice the soapstone layout lines... those conic development lines and the wooden lifts were picked up off the loft floor so it is just a matter of shrinking each line until the plate matches the lift then dog it down to the frame and weld it up. To straightening something by flange turning requires much more experience.

rwatson likes this.

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

If you Google "line heating" and chirillo you will find the late Lou Chirillo's report on the process done for NSRP.

rwatson likes this.