Big Bonsai.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Red At Night., Mar 28, 2004.

1. I've got a mono I want to make go faster :) And I'm not allowed to put trainer wheels on her unfortunately.
    Eliasson constantly refers to the optimum Cp for medium to heavy displacement yachts. What if I'm designing this slippery to windward sea snake and she is light? Not even nearly medium displacement. My DLR is approx. 110. Assuming that I'm going to work to windard at between froude 0.35 and 0.4 (pure racing yacht) what is the optimum Cp now? I'm reading conflicting reports. Dashew says Cp doesn't matter as much for light displacement and the IACC boats don't run large Cp's (to the best of my knowledge) either. Yet the canoeing fraternity display graphs that indicate even higher Cp's for ultra light dipacement hulls operating at Froude > 0.35
    An IOR maxi is also about DLR 110 and they run with a Cp of between 0.56 and 0.57 Is this what I should be going for also? We don't run with spinnakers off the breeze, which may alter thing slightly.
    After displacement, the next most important thing is Cp, so I'd like to get this right.
    Thanks, R at N.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.