Big bonding wire

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Scott Carter, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

Can anyone provide possible reasons for the use of a relatively large (#6) bonding wire for the fuel tank on a 45' power cruiser? It's an Italian boat (not sure if that's relevant).
    The entire boat is bonded properly, using copper strapping in the engine room with green #10 jumpers tieing in the through hulls, seacocks, outdrives etc. But at one point, a big #6 wire goes from one of the transom anodes and runs about 10' forward to the stainless fuel tank. I just can't figure why it was thought such a large conductor was needed. This is a manufacturer installation. The boat is a Cranchi.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Scott

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

There is no valid reason, probably just dogmatic thinking "it is a long distance, so use a heavy wire". Or the #6 spool was closest.

3. jonr

jonr Senior Member

Perhaps some beliefs about lightning. But I have no idea what a correct lightning protection system for a boats is. I guess something that provides a low impedance path from the sky to the surface of the water without running through or near people, other wires, sensitive electronics or flammable materials.

4. darr

darr Open Minded

Brother-in-law syndrome?

Mrs. Cranchi to husband:

Honey, if my brother doesn't sell these 10' long copper wires he will get fired from the 10 foot #6 wire company, he will have to move in with us!

5. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Ha ha

Should be in JOKES....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.