Bibliography

Discussion in 'Education' started by Yannis At., Oct 11, 2012.

1. Yannis At.

Yannis At. New Member

Hello everyone. Any suggestions for introductory textbooks in NA/ ME?

2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Ships or boats?

On your side of the pond I'd recommend Basic Ship Theory Vols 1 & 2 by Rawson & Tupper for ships, and Skene's Elements of Yacht Design (the Kinney edition, dated but inexpensive and covers all the basics) or Principles of Yacht Design by Larsson & Eliasson for boats.

There are a couple of others (such as NA for Non-Naval Architects, Principle of Naval Architecture, and Marine Engineering by SNAME and some of Gerr's books) but hard to get stuff "introductory" without either being too much or too little.

Edit; there was a thread a few years back on what books should be on a NA's bookshelf, I'll see if I can find a link.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

4. gwboats

gwboats Naval Architect

Naval Architecture Books

Try this one:
    'Baxters Introduction to Naval Architecture' (formerly Teach Yourself Naval Architecture)
    It is available new and quite cheap and for a small book covers all the essentials.
    The original version 'Teach yourself Naval Architure' is available second hand at much the same price. I still have my old copy on the bookshelf and dip into it now and again.

Cheers,
    Graham Westbrook
    Naval Architect
    www.westbrookmarine.co.uk

5. Yannis At.

Yannis At. New Member

Great feedback gentlemen. Thank you very much for time and effort

6. davisjam

davisjam Previous Member

Thanks for the links!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.