craigcat repower question

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Dvorocks, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Dvorocks

Dvorocks Junior Member

I just bought a craigcat without an engine. They typically come with a 15hp to 30hp engine. I was thinking of doing a hybrid electric setup. I was going to use 2 trolling motors 1 on each hull with a small honda generator to keep the battery charged.
    My other idea is to use a 20hp engine and a small trolling motor cent mounted .
    Mainly going to be using the boat to explore small coastal water ways.
    The electric would give me a better chance to see wildlife without scaring them away
    Anyone have any idea the speed I could get with 2 trolling motors with 65lbs thrust?

2. Westfield 11

Westfield 11 Senior Member

I always wondered if this was possible, but never did the calculations regarding load, battery charge and generator output. I would be concerned if the genny could supply enough power to run both motors without running at max RPM, thus defeating your purpose of a quiet boat. I have a couple of Yamaha gens and while they are quiet, I would not want to be in a small boat with one: they aren't that quiet! BTW, I have 1000 and 2400 watt units. The 2400 weighs in at 65 lbs. not light IMHO. The 2000 is half the weight, but it is maxed out running a Skilsaw or a pancake compressor. The compressor sometimes gives an overload on startup killing the charging.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is not a fuel efficient setup. However, if you are looking to have the possibility to run silent, it should work. Usually you don't run the trolling motor at full speed to see wildlife anyway.

4. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

You will only need one trolling motor, and a Craig Cat should move along real nice with that, my guess 5-6 knots easy.

Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.