Bhp?

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Laranjo123, Oct 17, 2011.

1. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Stuck my foot in it again. Lets see if I can sort this out. Gonzo, you are right and I was wrong. I said rated horsepower where I should have said certified horsepower.
    replace rated hp with certified hp.

2. Laranjo123

Laranjo123 Previous Member

Thx everybody i already got the BHP formula....tehehe

1 person likes this.
  3. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

What BHP formula?

4. Laranjo123

BHP = SHP / ng where ng = 98 %

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Incorrect. Advertised power in the US is power at the end of the engine crankshaft.

The various methods to determine power for auto, tractor, boat, and other engines all determine brake power.

Prior to the 1972 model year the SAE gross power test proceedure was usually used to determine auto engine power. This proceedure resulted in power ratings which were sometimes much greater than what the engine delivered as installed in the vehicle.

Starting with the 1972 model year US manufacturers switched to the SAE net power test proceedures which result in ratings much closer to what the engine produces installed in the vehicle. European manufactuers usually used an equivalent DIN proceedure while Japanese manufactures used the equivalent JSAE proceedure.

In the last five or six years manufactuers have been switching to the SAE certified power test proceedure which is a tighter test proceedure. The ratings for a number of engines went down but some went up when the certified test proceedure was used.

Rated HP just means what the engine is rated at. In some infrequent cases it may be less than what the engine actually delivers.

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

BHP (Or PB) is a common enough term in ship propulsion although there is no formulae for BHP it is a rating . But you arrive at the required BHP working backwards.

Engine
    BHP (brake HP)
    Gearing
    SHP (Shaft HP)
    shafting/ bearings
    DHP (Delivered HP)
    Prop
    THP (Thrust HP)
    Hull
    EHP (Effective HP)

The loss ratio between any of the 3 letter power abreviations is the efficiency of the stage.

Current convention is to remove the Horse "H" and write the abbreviation as: PB,PS,PD,PT,PE

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  7. Laranjo123

Yes it's true that you can't compute the BHP of the Engine it self. I've read that yesterday. Now my problem is. Where can i find engine with 2900-3000 bhp with 100-200 rpm?....

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

9. Laranjo123

Thank you mr MikeJohns...

10. Laranjo123

I have a question. Pd= (Pe x I) / nd
    What's the I stands for? The book didn't tell what's that I
    Pd= DHP
    Pe= EHP
    nd = 0.6

11. Laranjo123

Thx for the help all of you.....

12. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

700RPM is the engine. Don't forget the reduction gear. The prop speed is presumably the 100 to 200 RPM .

14. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Sure its just the thread starter that wanted a slow speed engine and I doubt there is one at 5000hp, I would be interested to know if there is one

15. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

The second question will be "Where do I get bowthruster?". With no reverse gear, how do you dock?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.