Bezier Curve Chine

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by thesecondwind, Apr 20, 2010.

1. thesecondwind

thesecondwind Junior Member

I am interested and starting a forum on "Bezier Curve Design". It is a new method of construction for home builders. This method enables homebuilder's to construct true round bottom sailboats from aluminum.
    thesecondwind

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Is this something similar to Jim Browns constant camber method?

3. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

Bezier-curves are not a way of constructing boats; it is a way of drawing curves.
    They were invented a long time ago by a Monsieur Bezier who worked as a cardesigner at Citroën (IIRC - maybe it was Peugeot) in France.
    This way of drawing curves has been used in ship- and boatbuilding for many years.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. thesecondwind

thesecondwind Junior Member

In response to messabout - the Bezier curve method applies to metal hulls. Jim Brown's constant camber method is a wood cold molded method. Perhaps similar in theory, but not application.

In response to sorenfdk - I am familiar with the history of Bezier curves. It is why I named my new method the "Bezier Curve Method". I applied Bezier curves to my design which results in true round metal hulls. This process allows persons of average skills the ability to construct a true round hull as easily as a double chine metal hull.

In response to daiquiri - Perhaps my original post was confusing, I am introducing the "Bezier Curve" method as an alternative to the radius chine or constant radius chine. The purpose of the post is to find out what builders and designers think about it.

I am familiar with the article you refer to, I wrote it. The Bezier curve method however, is not a radius chine technique at all.

I appreciate your replies and look forward to more feed back. Further information is available at metalsailboats.com.

Dennis Schaffer

6. sorenfdk

sorenfdk Yacht Designer

No - it just wasn't very clear! Now I know what you are referring to, and it looks interesting.

7. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

I have just mastered bezier curves in photoshop and it's a fun way of designing ANYTHING but is maddening to get the hang of.

are bezier curves what we called "French curves" in the pre-digital age?
    or "transitional curves" in highway and railroad where the radius starts out wide and tightens as you get farther into the curve?

8. liki

liki Senior Member

9. conceptia

conceptia Naval Architect

I just rewinded back to college notes of CAD. Wen we start learning the application of what we have studied then it is very interesting. I'm lovin' it.

10. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

Looking at the site, it's intereresting.

Really it's a variable radius chine where the section shape orf the radius is curved by numerous bends. Nothing to do with Bezier curves at all, that bit is just creative marketing isn't it.

Effectively lots of mini-chines or flat panels created by straight line bending.

A few things spring to mind

Hard to do on thicker plate
    Bending fractures alloy on a micro scale

Do the planes line up through into the next section? If not there will be a mess at the join

And particulalry since this would be applicable to thinner plate wouldn't it be easy and faster to roll the shape anyway rather than putting 30 accurate creases in each section of the radius chine ?

11. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

At first I was sceptical but after looking at the site the method looks reasonable.

The design process seems to indicate one particular software package was used. It would be good if this could be written to be compatible with other software.

I imagine there might be a bit of trial and error on braking the plates unless you have a method to mark the brake lines on the parts to be cut. Perhaps that is part of your method.

12. Paul No Boat

Paul No Boat Junior Member

I use photoshop and a little bit of Illustrator to do some graphic design. Is any of that able to be imported into CAD? I would love to learn some autocad but just have not gotten around to it.

13. rugludallur

rugludallur Rugludallur

How about modern radius chine instead?

Unfortunately there don't seem to be many books written about metal boat building since CNC and CAD with splines/b-lines became commonplace.

Today you can buy a true round bottom boat kit for a very reasonable amount of money, the nice thing is that sections can be up to 2x6m which means there will be minimal welding and distortion.

On the other hand radius chine boat building has gotten simpler, kits can be delivered with radius plates pre-cut or at least the rolled plates can have the cuts painted on so all you need to do is cut out the sections.

In addition to this it's easier than ever to design boats with tilted radius sections where you can use the same radius rolled plates but tilt them slightly inwards towards the stern for a better form.

The biggest problem I see is that builders usually don't have presses or rollers and therefore are stuck with either ordering kits or sections rolled to a single radius.

This method does make it possible to buy a small press and form the sections yourself but the downside is that the sections are so small that the amount of welding is probably 3 times what it is for radius chine construction.

For anyone wanting to play with 3D design with splines I highly recommend downloading a trial of Rhino 3D.

Jarl
    http://dallur.com

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Bezier curve

This is what Wikipedia has to say.

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is the animation

[​IMG]

Can sombedy explain me why it make construction easy.
    I don't see any relation between the two.

Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.