Beware Cruising World Magazine subscription autorenew to collections!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Jan 26, 2008.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Hello Everyone,

For years I subscribed to Cruising World. As the articles became more "fluff" and the advirtismments seemed to increase, I let my subscription expire.

So the other day I get a collection notice from 'National Credit Audit Corporation'. It said I owed $24 US. Every time I've got a subscrition I've sent a check and pre-paid it. The notice gave the impression of a scam.

The number given to call (they said "do not call Cruising World") had no person on the end, just voice menu One option was to give credit card info. :rolleyes:

When I Googled them nothing as far as a company website came up, just numerous complaints from subscribers to other magazines. When I did call Cruising World they said they were affiliated with this collection comany. She said the last offer I took had an automatic renewal included. This was news to me as I never authorized that. I told her the same and she said it would be taken care of.

The thing is, many people go ahead and pay out of absent mindedness or fear for their credit rating.

Needless to say, this magazine will never see me as a subscriber again.

Take care all & be warned.

Tim

2 people like this.
  2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Good show Tim, we unfortunately have similar scams here too. If the setup is a scam, people have the right to know, and you should report this to your authorities, their setup may be fraudilant.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Thanks for the advice tim, I don't subscribe but forewarned is forearmed.... :D

Brownie points allowed & given

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Thanks for that warning Tim, I will admit that I've never really thought of buying Cruising World - never heard of it! Must be from your side of the pond, but I will certainly avoid it like the plague now!!

5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

good one on you tim,,remember it is probably not afilliated with cruising world mag,,,,but some low life riff raft that cant seem to work for a living like the rest of us,,,buy the way tim ,,didnt know you could read,;)longliner

6. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Tim, I'm guessing you don't do business with AOL anymore either?

A.

7. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Not sure what you mean about AOL Alan.

Longliner, they are actually working for the mag. I called the Magazine and asked. Thats the sad thing.

I learned to read last week and am really enjoying it.

Tim

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Tim,

That kind of scam has been around for a long time. They started by sending invoices to large business for small things, on the theory that large business have plenty of small expenses, and it's not efficient to double check each one, so most of them get paid. A few years ago they started in the magazine billing scams. Auto Week magazine published an editorial last year warning readers that there were non-affiliated companies sending out scam invoices. They said they were fed up and were suing several companies over this.

Unfortunately, some magazines have started the "automatic renewal" thing, and try to claim that you are automatically renewed for life until you cancel. I cancelled several subscriptions when they tried that tactic.

Good for you for being alert, then cancelling them. That seems to be the only thing they understand. :mad:

1 person likes this.
  9. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Charlie,

Alot of mags seem to be using these idiots:Family Circle, Woodworker, etc....

Wish Soraya & I could meet down your way for a week. This Winter seems to be dragging on. We may be down in mid April.

One more post will put me at 1000 :)

Take care.

Tim

10. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

So DO IT man! :D

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

c'mon Tim get posting, join the thousand plus gang!

the drivel thread would be ideal, you don't have to say anything , just "this is etc.......

12. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Looks like Tim is holding back, letting the drama build ........... and build ......... what a build up ...... Tim, I've got to hand it to you, friend, the whole forum is waiting for you to reach 1000, holding its collective breath ........ Oh, darn, this is turning into drivel .... have to switch threads... goodbye.

13. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

... and the winner is ....

No?

TIM WHERE ARE YOU :D

1 person likes this.
  14. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

An even Grand. :)

A hearty hello & thank you to all my good friends both for the fellowship & advice.

Tim

15. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Phhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!! Finally! :p :p :D :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.