Boat -x

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by dick stave, Mar 28, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

After 20 years of working for the man, The house is paid down,my overhead is low ,and Ive got a shop full of tools. I DONT know jack about designing boats,but Im one hell of a Fabricator/ Alloy welder. I want to build boats.
    So heres my question . What would be the the most marketable design [welded aluminum ]under 30 ft. for the pacific northwest ?
    Thanks...

2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Tolman Skiff or a boat of that style. Seaworthy, durable, reasonably fast and trailerable, though 30' may be pushing it in that last category.

Give a shout to Brian Dixon at Glacier Boats. He has designed the Great Alaskan 26 series of boats and they are amazingly dialed-in for the needs of the PNW big water boater. see below for a simple drawing.

briandixon@glacierboats.com

http://www.glacierboats.com/

Chris Ostlind

Attached Files:

3. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Hey Chris, thanks for your reply.I was thinking the same thing.The Tolman skiff,C-Dory,Bluejacket 24...It occurs to me there is a demand for a trailerable
    camp cruiser with a four stroke outboard, ,good quality,at a reasonable price.
    Im not looking to get rich,just looking to get out from under and enjoy what I do.By the way ,I like your Blackwater 16[that was pretty good payback on that Larry fellow] .I am seeking a designer as I want to build a boat that conforms to regulations and can be sold as such.

4. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

T.N. Simmons comes to mind when I try to convey my thoughts on this endeavor.I would like to employ the talent of a forward thinking individual
    start with a blank page and build something new.I have no ambition to rip off Renn ,Tom ,or anyone else.I completely understand the manufacturing process and would like to embark on an enterprise of a production run of potentialy 50 to 100 units. Im not talking backyard with a skillsaw more like cnc profiled, jig built ,leave your mark. Whos game?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.