Best Woodworking Tools for Boatbuilding?

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Bizzlefluff, Dec 22, 2014.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can see making a nut holder to work on your own; I have some of those. The vasectomy with a circular saw between my legs I'll pass.

2. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Previous Member

Feather wedges. The trick isn't really your leg, the trick is your fingers.

3. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

hey jammer....a good japan pull saw is a must! Actually I have half a dozen, fine,coarse,backed,non backed. These can make the finest cuts with the least effort. A joy to use! The Lie Nielson low angle block plane is in my opinion the best there is. I use mine pretty much daily and I mean really use it. (not pampered) Another fine one is their low angle jack, this baby is the Porsche of planes. And yes they are worth every penny! And unless your all caught up in the romance of building a wooden boat, bla,bla,bla, use power tools,let them do the work and save the hand tools for the finer finish..................................................g

4. Jammer Six

I've tried about a dozen Japanese saws. (There's different types, just like American saws.)

I gave them all away to prevent my apprentices from picking them up.

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

They picked them up by the blade, didn't they? I quit taking my kitchen knives to pot lucks after the second person went for stitches.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't like Japanese saws at all. They are backwards to western saws so they cut on the pull. They don't work on the traditional western techniques of cutting, but some people swear by them.

7. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Fair enough, though I am a convert!. One third of the effort by using one third of the blade width, it does require accurate arm pull strokes. They do however work by 'cutting' same as Western saws, just the opposite direction. Very hard to buckle, but very easy to damage the teeth if dropped or edge dinged. The replaceable blade ones largely solve this. Cross cut finish is IMHO excellent compared to even the best Tenon saws I've ever used.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have a few Jap saws, but I don't use them often, finding I'm grabbing a multi tool or something else, before pissing off my elbow with hand work. I can't remember the last time I used one.

9. Bigfork

Bigfork Junior Member

Have a look at a "Japanese Wood Worker" magazine. I build timberframe homes when not teaching Art...or thinking of boats. There's a lot of crossover between upper tier timberframing and boat building, ie multiple layout methods, both square and round material, and wood nuances such as wind, grain, scored lines, gravy, relish, and tools. Look for companies such as Veritas, Festool, Maefall, 6th generation sword makers who now make 150$ 1 1/2" bench chisels. The wet stones, Veritas angle guides, Jap saws (thick/thin curf), etc. All of the above and then some can be found in one mag. My most cherished chisel is a 100$ folded Damascas bi steel bench chisel. Take hair off your arm after tackling an oak knot.

10. rangebowdrie

rangebowdrie Senior Member

Get a Starrett 12in. combination square, with the protractor head accessory. You will find yourself using it for all kinds of set-up/layout work beyond just measurement uses.

11. CloudDiver

CloudDiver Senior Member

I'm not an expert on specific brands that are the 'best' for certain applications, but I have found that I can get high quality tools at the best prices by looking for vintage tools in local classified ads and/or estate sales. You will typically find higher quality standards in manufacturing and better metallurgy in tools that were made in a certain 'era'. Its hard to pinpoint what that era is exactly and I guess it depends on the application/type of tool. The thing about vintage tools is you have to be willing to invest the sweat equity in some restoration if needed, but the results can be well worth the elbow grease. My bandsaw & tablesaw are mid 1950's and my drill press late 1940's, post war I am fairly certain but I need to research the serial number. I'm not working with wood at present but when I get ready to I will for sure be looking for vintage block planes, chisels, and other such hand tools specifically for wood work.

12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

While assessing tools, consider getting several sizes of pallet knives as used by artists. They do not cut but they do have flexible thin blades that are perfect for mixing and artfully spreading adhesives like epoxy and what not. You can use them to force saturation epoxies or paints into woods more easily than other methods. They are one of my important tools, cheap, last forever if you clean them dutifully, used a lot.

13. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

14. Jammer Six

No.

My comment meant I didn't want them using them.

15. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Funny how folks go tool crazy, nothing but the best , then complain that the designer charged 500 for the plans , that marine timbers are too expensive , then use gorilla glue and construction grade timber to build the boat.
    If you like messing around with boats get your priorities straight...top designer, best materials, workmanlike tools.

Workman tools are always mid range with a sharp cutting edge .

As you build, If you feel that you must upgrade a tool , be sure that your skill level matches the capability of the tool.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.