Best Wishes

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by dskira, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is very mild compared to the ones posted last night aimed at Marco but then deleted 1 to 2 hours later.

If you don't post on the same time schedule I suppose you wont see them.

I think he has done the right thing, and I hope he gets some help for his anger control.

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Well Frosty,

I think that is just the kind of thing that makes any forum less nice to converse on. I'm not taking sides for anyone now so I appologise in advance if you take this personally.

It seems too many guys are so ready to jump at the slightest chance to pick a fight with someone else or find fault, what the heck for I don't know.

It doesn't matter who said what and who is right or wrong, the bottom line is it makes these threads very unpleasant. To be honest, there are almost no thread where there isn't a stupid argumant or some abuse.

I know why Daniel removed his post, same reason I have removed some of mine in the past. It isn't relevant to the thread and serves no purpose, and since it is negative of nature..., it's not a matter of covering his flaw up. I too have posted many times before in the heat of things, and uttered something I shouldn't have. So have others. At least we can correct some of it...

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Second you Fanie.. and I'm sorry to hear about Daniels decision.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

And Frosty.. If I were you I'd remove that post of yours.. It's got nothing to do in a thread of "Best Wishes"

1 person likes this.
  5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I'm sorry that I did not do a closer job of moderating over the holidays. I will try and do a better job of moderating in 2010 to help keep things from getting heated. Possibly any post containing a personal insult should be deleted on sight and more quickly than it was in 2009. I like to moderate with a light hand and not get carried away slapping people on the wrist with a ruler, but I don't like it when anyone feels the forum has let them down through being attacked or insulted at a level where they are offended.

I would also request that the Post Feedback system be used responsibly - I know it's far from perfect, but please do not post insults through this or the forum. Keep it constructive. If you disapprove of someone's post, I'd ask you to leave a constructive unemotional comment that can be useful and never a personal attack or insult. I really appreciate all those who despite the imperfections here and there help keep the forum on track, positive, and an interesting place to discuss and visit.

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hello Jeff,

The Great Lakes still great :D

Personally I like your light moderating hand, every one sees things different.

Where are the fish pictures ?

Here we go again TeddyBear :D Kill frost off the forum, but not yet. I have much to learn from him still ;)

How about you senior guys work together instead of against one another ? We look up to you guys, so come on, enhance each other. Unity is power.

7. bntii

bntii Senior Member

This community like all others thrives due to the strength of its members. I have made mistakes here, most of us have,
    and all carry a burden of responsibility for how we act here.
    So a light hand yes.
    And a hope that people continue to participate. When we loose members we loose real value to our forum.

8. apex1

apex1 Guest

Fully concur.

We lost members already, see Daniel, helpfur contributors, sharing first hand knowledge.

Although I like a light handed moderation too (and have some advantage, due to my rather frank and rude way to respond), a sort of "co-moderation" done by some of the nice tempered, older members would enhance the Forums value imho.
    Peers like Matt Marsh, Terry Haynes or Mike Johns for example. (I could imagine some more)

Nothing to do with best wishes, just one wish.

Regards
    Richard

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Trying times....

You know ,I really enjoy this forum most of the time. There is a wealth of information here and great people to run an idea past. However, there are a couple of individuals who constantly seek any post of mine out so they can say no if I say yes-or impugn my integrity or whatever-as long as it is negative-one in particular that is virtually obsessed in this regard.
    I used to respond to these personal attacks and the result was an interesting thread ruined( was the object, it seems ,of my nemesis). It happened one too many times a couple of months ago and I got mad and quit the forum-losing all my rep points ect. I was initially angry at Jeff but the time out helped me to think. It wasn't Jeffs fault at all-he does a great job under what must be trying circumstances at times. It was my own fault and I discovered a simple solution that had been staring me in the face: when someone lobs a personal attack at you or ridicules something you care about IGNORE THEM-do not respond! It's hard, at first, to let something like that just sit there with no response but you know what?-over time it works great and saves good threads from becoming pissing matches. I've been able to come back to the forum and enjoy it and while the same two people are still around they have no effect-that is ZERO effect on me because I simply ignore them.
    I think it is a win for people that want to read interesting threads without constant bickering and it is a win for me because for a long,long time I had no idea how to handle it-the solution works!
    Maybe Daniel can give it another shot and just simply ignore the crap.....

1 person likes this.
  10. Marco1

Marco1 Senior Member

Hi guys, best wishes for the new year from a newby in this forum to all members old an new.

I want to say that I enjoy this forum and find it a very good source of information about boats and related subjects. A big thank you to the owner of this forum, whoever you are, for allowing this to be, and to dedicate the time it takes to keep on line. Goodonya, like we say in OZ.

The person behind each log-on name is, for a new comer, always a bit of a mystery until... Through different posts one finds out who that person really is. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out the background of some of the members here and the wealth of information they can share with the others that like me, know only a little about boats and engines, even when I learned to dock fully loaded cargo boat at age 11...but that is another story.

As far as the bickering that goes on sometimes, when I find it personally rather amusing, I understand that others may take it more seriously and that such can be a problem.

Internet forums are a way of communicating that is new to many. One must realise that the written medium is not the same as a conversation even when it appears to be. It lacks the presence of the other, face expression and the tone of the voice that we are used to hear and see in a conversation and that moderates and regulates our behaviour when answering. It is not easy to get used to it and some never get use to it.

Post are written in a hurry, as a joke, or as a tease more times than you like to believe, and should be taken much more lightly then they are at times.
    I was accused to be Mark774 or perhaps he was accused to be me and live in Alaska or something. Hehe how can one take such accusations seriously? If he only knew that I am actually an alien from the Alfa quadrant posing as Marc from Sydney!

As for our little tiff with Daniel, it has long been solved, forgiven and forgotten from both sides and we both were wrong and admitted so. I sincerely hope that he can be the bigger man with whoever he may be bitter about and not quit the forum. He is a naval architect ( I did not know that ) and has been involved with boats since age 12 so has several decades of experience to share. Daniel you are not allowed to quit.

So in conclusion, I look forward to learn more about boats and talk about whatever we can, hope for the trolls to stay away in the forest and that we can interact with more harmony than ever.
    Strike the iron when it's hot, but keep your engine warm and your head cool.

Kind Regards
    Marc Guttenberg

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Has he left? thanks for the deduction.
    yup he may have left because of me or he may have left because of himself.
    You did not see the ridiculous explosive posts he made in the middle of the night and then deleted, hes not left --he wants sympathy and a reply. --he Pm'd me this morning.

You know what I feel like that guy on Outer Limits sitting on a plane and he is the only one who sees the little Gremlin pulling the plane apart, no matter who he calls they don't see it.

You'de have to be pretty old I suppose to remember that.

You know I don't care don't you?--I can stay cool--real cool --I don't care what people say, I live in a warm country and don't work for anyone. Deduct points if you want, go for it. But please have some balls and tell me who and why. What are you scared of? you scared of me? what like im gonna come and get ya?---- Pathetic 9 to 5 people.

12. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Frosty its more like out of the twilight zone, the outer limits was a way better show than the twilight zone.
    Does anybody else see the irony in some of the posts by some people complaining about the treatment of some other people?

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It was The Twilight Zone, not Outer Limits, and the guy was William Shatner. So I am pretty old. Last year made me 10 years older all at once. I miss dskira and hope he comes back. Let us all try to get along amicably.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.