small vessel flotation certification

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Stump Jumper, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Stump Jumper

Stump Jumper New Member

Hi there
    i am have been looking up on the SAMSA website to learn a little more on
    small vessel flotation certification,but cant find an answer.

perhaps someone can shed a little light on the matter !!
    What i would like to know : how long is this certificate valid for?

2. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

For all boats smaller than 9 meters the following applies according to Marine Notice 13 of SAMSA.

Category R = inland waters, rivers and estuaries:
    Requirements for flotation = 30% minimum of boat weight fully loaded with fuel, batteries, equipment etc. (displacement) excluding crew.

Category E = 1 nautical mile offshore
    Category D = 5 nautical mile offshore
    Category C = 15 nautical mile offshore
    Category B = 40 nautical mile offshore
    Category A = no restriction

Requirements for flotation for the above categories: = 60% minimum of boat weight fully loaded with fuel, batteries, equipment etc. (displacement) including crew.

The flotation recommended by SAMSA is close cell polyurethane expanded foam and usually is the RX121 and 44V20 combination.

If you want any further information about this, contact me at my email icon via my webpage.

I am doing retro-fitment of buoyancy on boats for the last 4 years, and is an accredited BIASA member - although I am retired now, I still do quite a number of flotations monthly from home to pay for the frosty stuff.
    If in doubt about COF requirements, Im also a boat inspector for SASCA and issue said certificates and can inform you of what you exactly need for any given category.

My buoyancy certificates issued are usually valid for 10 years, provided the boat's weight does not increase more than 5% or if the hull is damaged or foam flooded that needs inspection/repairs.

Hope this will help you:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.