Best way to weatherproof wood on a boat deck

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Feb 10, 2022.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Hey guys I'm building a wooden play structure of douglas fir 2x4s on my boat for the kids and I was wondering what is the best way to weatherproof it other than epoxy? Should I got with an exterior latex paint with sealer top coat, waterproof acrylic enamel paint, varnish, penetrating stain, or natural oil like tung or boiled linseed? Which one of these options do you think will provide the best protection? Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  2. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Because it's doug fir, I'd just use a latex porch paint; not just exterior but a real porch and floor paint.

3. BoatEngineer

BoatEngineer New Member

I would first choose Douglas Fir that has no SAP wood. You are paying the same $8-9/ 2x4 at big boxes, so make sure you get your money's worth by picking through the stacks.

Will Gilmore likes this.

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Oil based primer and porch and floor enamel suitable over oil.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.