Best tarp material.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Dirteater, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

thanks DC,

I remember going to the army surplus store when I was kid,
    had all that really cool stuff. gas masks, knives, tent material, camo gear,
    duffle bags, boots, hats, tent pegs. I think your right though,
    you don't see that kind of gear stuff so much anymore. :cool:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Duck tarps, are you kidding? Ever try to lift a 30'x60' wet cotton duck tarp?

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Our largest cotton duck tarp is 12'x24'. I've learned to handle it by folding and rolling rather than brute force.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

The vinalized/rubberized professional truckers tarps are also heavy possibly just as heavy as duck tarps. I presently have two in use, (16x30ft)one closing in my workshop carport and another covering my next winters fire wood. The firewood tarp being similar to covering a boat is handled easily by myself by fastening a long 2x12 across the narrow dimension end and simply rolling it up to slide in place and then unrolling to cover. I've used it now for some 10yrs. with very little sign of wear. Another thought would be the heavy vinyl they use to shrink wrap boats, expensive but super strong. Tarps are just one of those products you get what you pay for. As the old Esso (Exxon) Motor Oil Ad used to say "you pay now or you pay later."

5. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

I wouldn't need much, about 15' x 8' or so.
    so that would lighten things a bit.
    and at that size, I may even be able to locate a piece of scrap in good condition. worth a boo perhaps.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My brother has re-used the shrink-wrap covering over his 30' powerboat for multiple winters. He's careful when he removes it and reinstalls it, and I think he's gotten four or five years use from one covering.

7. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

8. MoePorter

MoePorter Junior Member

I think we have a winner...Thanks for the link!Moe

9. Dirteater

Dirteater Senior Member

Just a quick note to thank everyone for your input. :)

some really great ideas.
    I'll let you know what I end up doing.

DE

10. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

I've used light truck tarp , also used for billboard signs, and have 7 years in the hot sun on it so far. Still in good shape.

Dino

11. seadreamer6

seadreamer6 Junior Member

You might consider one of those fabric covered garages that u can get from many suppliers. My neighbor has one that has stood up to our Montana winds and winters for over 15 years. I think he got his from northern tool company.

personally, I was skeptical of the fabric so I got a sheet metal covered carport. the metal only goes part way down the sides so in winter I close it in with cheapo blue tarp. since the tarp is on the vertical sides it usually last 3 years or so...the metal of course is still going strong after 15 years.

the carport was about 800 dollars...i'm sure I would have spend that much on decent tarps over the years...not to mention the convenience...back the boat in..unhook and go.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.