Best surface Drive for Marine diesel?

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by wiggler4490, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rik

Rik Senior Member

There for a minute it sounded like something different. :eek:

We have 10 different drive sizes of various configurations. We try to cover all applications from small ( <200 hp diesel) to large (6,000 + hp diesel)

Yes and no. A displacement hull that is limited by design, which is designed for what the customer wants, has a different need and objection than a fast/faster/really fast plaining hull.

A cargo ship does not use a surface drive, but that is not what Jim, the starter of this thread was asking about.

A fast plaining hull with a surface drive with a diesel was the topic at hand. In this category, then Arneson has the needs covered with our product range.

HandMan likes this.
  2. Rik

Rik Senior Member

The pictures show the bottom paint on the drive unit itself.

I already gave you the answer to the cylinders in an earlier post. DIG man DIG, you will find it if you look.

HandMan likes this.
  3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The pictures show mostly clean boats being returned! From where ? a fresh water lake?

What paint do you use and how often? You cant paint the rams comon?

I have looked for 'Arneson rams'--have googled and been transfered to many web sites using your front. Where shall I dig??? I find nothing on your so called self cleaning rams.

It is you that is benefiting here not me, and as I see it, your not doing yourself or your company much good.

If you know where it is ----spill it!!!

You just can not and will not answer a simple question.

It would appear that Arneson are not suitable for constant emmersion in sea water as I suspect. and that most Arnesons are used in fresh water.

Unless Rik can put up some information and prove his theory that Arnesons don't suffer fouling problems then I will coninue to beleive that they do get growth just like any body else on the planet.

That would certainly run along with 100% of the usage that I have seen with Arnesons. Those rams, pipes and all those lovely shiny bits just could not hold up to commercial use in seawater.

I shall continue to believe along with others reading this that your claims are not reasonable and false.

I can only assume thay you are totally unfamiliar with sea water boats.

4. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Frosty, look at post #16. The answer lies there. I am not here to design a cylinder for you or others. Buy an Arneson and see how we do it. Rather proof of a problem lies on the accuser. Can you show evidence of this problem? If not them please move on. I cannot show you a problem that I do not encounter.

As for salt water, where do you think all this large boats go? Have you ever seen thousands upon thousands boats on a local lake that are in the 60' + range with surface drives? I think not.

South Central FL, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, ASIA!!, etc.. All have boats with Arneson Surface Drives. Even Australia there masa.

Unless you are telling me that there is magic water that only boats with Arnesons sit in around the world, then it is pretty obvious that the boats are kept in Salt Water and they are kept there full time. Do they have a truck in Asia that can tow a 88' Azimuth out of the water on a launch ramp? Lord knows the British never made a decent truck.

Why are you so stuck on a shinny propeller theory? Likewise, 90% of the boats with Arnesons have a NiBrial propeller and they are far from shinny.:?: Even the ones with S.S. propellers are mostly dull in finish.

Don't be a hater Frosty. As I have said before, time to put up or shut up. The burden of proof of your imaginary problem is on you.

HandMan likes this.
  5. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

ok ok fellas,maybe I can shed some light on this issiue,,,we fished in the gulf of mexico ,,,,for years and years,,we used only simple bottom paint,( pettit) ,,good stuff,,the boat always kept moving ,once a year we pulled the boat out ,,to check for damage,,hitting,logs and debrei and such .no outstanding barnical growth ,,,we fished in all weather,,rain or shine,,we had volvo duoprops with a stering ram ,,no growth,,,,,,the ram was slightly out of the water,,,,moss grows not on a rolling stone,,as the shaft passes through the bushing or bearing or seal ,,it is cleaned off ,(,so much for the shaft question) as for the drives ,,I cant tell you squat,,,,,but moving parts gather no barnicals or anything,,,our props were alumininum,,,,,,,no growth there either ,,but we could change them out ,,we had speed props for traveling and tractor props for working heavy,,,,,storm comes up ,you put the speed props on and hauled ***,,,,as forest gump said ,,,,,( this is all I have to say bout that),,longliner

HandMan likes this.
  6. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Longliner, you are blowing Frosty's hypothesis.

A rolling stone gather no moss..

HandMan likes this.
  7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

We need more smilies, there isnt one that fits.

I saw one once that was a little smilie and he was banging his head on a brick wall. Something like that would do right now!!.

Im so glad I didnt buy Arnesons Geeez, can you imagine trying to get a querie answered.

Did I or did I not ask what antifould he used?

Again I can only assume--- Arneson must have so much electrolisis from the Nibral, stainless and alluminium that the barnacles dont/cant go there.

Assume is all I can do????????

So Flexidrive with the Victory racing team won formula1 with the Soni designed flexidrive.

A strange looking rudder in so much as it is half the tunnel of the Levi drive and seems to have changable rudder blades.

Mmmm I could modify mine to do that. Infact I have wondered that the tunnels may encourage undesirable water forces through the tunnel where the propeller is doing its buisness.

But does have clean, smooth surfaces so important when trying to keep up maintenance and deter marine growth and barnacles.

8. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Uh, King of shaves won the championship in 2007' with a pair of ASD8 drive units. And a lot less HP.

I sold the engines to the Donzi team, so I know what they make.

True, the Flexi drive, used in Powerboat P1 Class on a Donzi, which is a copy of the Arneson by Brunello Acampora's company, won the championship in 2006' while racing against a group of boats that were largely uncompetitive as proved in the 2007' season when two American boat companies went to Europe and demolished the fleet. (Fountain Powerboats and Outer limits Powerboats)

The tunnels do not move and there is only one rudder on that particular boat. Not a Levi hoop steering. Brunello is marketing the hoop steering on other models but I have yet to see one.

The flexi drive is not used on the Victory Racing Team, rather the Victory Racing Team uses an Arneson fixed for trimming only and incorporates a vertically trimable rudder. Pretty high tech piece.

Anti fouling paint you ask? Ask the end user. We do not recommend any particular brand as there are external factors involved in the decision making process. Like accessories on their boat. Not all things are compatible with the same bottom paint.

You sure ask a lot of questions but answer far fewer.

HandMan likes this.
  9. masalai

masalai masalai

I thought the idea was to offer an answer based on your personal strengths/experiences, and submit questions to another when one would like to know something, from one who claims to be, or, should be, in the know.

A quick browse of public profiles/gallery should give an indication of area of interest etc. Some prefer anonymity? their business is their business. If to cast opinions it is then the anonymous opinion-maker becomes judge-able by anyone, if no other bio-information is posted, to their regret.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

This is the one the Flexi web site say did it. It doesnt look like an Arneson to me>

You say I ask a lot of questions but answer few ---Well what do you want to know?

Ive explained to you what barnacles are -hav'nt I?

Attached Files:

11. Rik

Rik Senior Member

That is a Victory design trim cylinder

Best look at an Arneson again. Opps. There is the ball, socket and thrust tube. Hmmmm... Who sales them the Arneson ball, socket and parts??? Hmmm.. Ponder to guess.

You never came forward with your drive unit, or anything that is better.

You have not showed the imaginary damage you have managed to drag this thread into, yet you are now changing your argument to a drive unit that is a copy of all things, an Arneson! But this time it the unit uses two steering cylinders that are exposed to the marine environment just like an Arneson.

You have not shown your imaginary and now mysterious Barnacle growth problem on an Arneson Surface Drive.

You have not shown any credentials that you and masa stake your claim to fame on.

I've said it far too many times here, so lets put it to rest as I am exhausted defending an imaginary problem that does not exist but you keep going on and on about.

This is boarding on childish behavior. Who did you call a 4 year old again?

Oh, you should like the flag on this boat.

Attached Files:

HandMan likes this.
  12. Rik

Rik Senior Member

True, but to throw stones and hide behind a false identity to protect yourself is a cowardly thing. If one is brave enough to start an attack, then an Honorable person would be man enough to man up.

HandMan likes this.
  13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

(I don't do all that flag saluting stuff) ( sigh)

-------------------------------------------------------
    Anyway whats these questions you want me to answer?

I would like to ask some technical questions about Arnesons,but im not sure you would be able to answer.

14. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Your right Frosty, I probably could not answer your imaginary questions.

HandMan likes this.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No No-- your right Rik, you would not be able to answer the questions I would be asking.

--What the hell is an imaginary question?!!!!!!!!! Oh well.

I apologise the the original starter of this thread who must be thing what the hell happened?

Personally I would say that any surface drive is perfectly ok for a deisel as more gear reduction and slower speed is being used as from the early days when it was thought that high speed propellers was necessary.

I have deisels with 2.5 ratio.

The trick is to get a prop that is designed to drive the boat at the speed you want -then choose the engine and ratio to drive the prop at its designed speed and torque. Isnt that right Rik?

Many people fit an engine they got cheap and then ask for a prop to get them out of the ****. The propeller man wont like you very much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.