Best surface Drive for Marine diesel?

Discussion in 'Surface Drives' started by wiggler4490, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiggler4490

wiggler4490 New Member

Trying to find a good steerable, trimmable surface drive that can handle 500-600hp 1000-1200lbs torque yet affordable, thanks

2. RANCHI OTTO

RANCHI OTTO Naval Architect

ZF or Arneson

3. masalai

masalai masalai

or even Levi. simple, robust, made of stainless steel & proven (I think) also a member in Boat Design Forum.

4. wiggler4490

wiggler4490 New Member

Anyone have ideas of costs between Levi, Arnoson,Zf for 500hp, 1,000lbs torque

5. masalai

masalai masalai

http://www.levidrives.com/drives280.html & on top right hand side is "contact us" use this as quotes rely on individual manufactury for your specific application. (made to meet your configuration/need) This is individual professional operation, but very helpful if you have done your homework/research

Also on this site at http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/index.php/cat/528 , this set relates more to smaller applications. see the website & have a good and careful read. Got the runs on the board.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your decision is more simple than you think. If the boat lives in a marina then you can not use Arneson or any other system with exposed hydraulics. The fouling of rams and hydraulics would be a constant daily clean up.

There are other agricultural types more suited to the marine environment.

Dont skimp on size like I did,-- put the biggest damn props you can get on the boat. If you can get prop slip down then surface props are a good all rounder.

7. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

I own a 42' sportfish with Arnesons. It comes out of the water once a year if it needs it or not. I use it in salt and fresh. This is a fact that is coming from someone who actually owns a set. I have had to reseal one trim ram a few years ago and thats it so far. I have never seen nor heard from any reliable source that Arnesons were that much trouble. Most of the larger ones (#8s and larger) are made of bronze including the rams. Mine are the old 1720's that have been out of production for a long time and are still going strong. The only downfall they have is the propellers. They are very expensive and hard to get dialed in. But I think this is true with any surface drive.

Steve

HandMan likes this.
  8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Very Interesting,--How do you keep the hydraulic rams clean of barnacles so they don't rip the seals to bits?

Do you antifoul all your hydraulics?

9. masalai

masalai masalai

No Frosty, read what the man says. His experience is irrelevant, takes it out of salt water to give it a bath in deterginated fresh water. - the fresh water there kills nearly everything including barni-calls. Also the water freezes so out comes the boat anyway. Lucky to be in the water what with the political polution etc.

10. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

If the boat is going to be in moored in salt for an extended time, I will raise the drives all the way and turn the wheel to port. This keeps all rams in the retracted position. I think that even this is overkill. The rams are all stainless except for some fittings that are brass or bronze. So no I don't anifoul them. The water here is relatively cool. Barnacles are very slow to attach, once a year haulout is plenty.

Steve

HandMan likes this.
  11. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

Irrelevant? As a person who has first hand knowlege gained from actual ownership, maintenence, and operation of these drives my opinion is clearly relevant.
    Boat is moored wet 24\7 365 days per year

Deterginated fresh water?
    Freezing water?

What are you talking about?

Political polution? Still scratching my head on that one.

Dude-put down the pipe and get some rest.

Steve

HandMan likes this.
  12. masalai

masalai masalai

Just throwing another red herring in the mix as the thread seemed to be a bit anal. (going no where fast in the direction where knowledge could be derived)

To indicate that the water was usually coldish & drives were lifted out to protect the hydraulics was very appropriate, Thanks for that.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats interesting--the hydraulic rams I mean being on the same side.

If you have counter rotation then as you are aware with actually owning some that side walk on surface props is tremendous. The steering rams should be in compression meaning one ram one one of your legs should be on the other side. Have you a mechanical tie bar or hydraulic?

Interesting though, The rams must be double action?

I will look into this.

14. Rik

Rik Senior Member

Can you explain your experience with your theory?

There are thousands upon thousands of boats that are in the salt water full time in warm water, cold water, fresh water, salt water, brackish water, etc. and the theory you seem stuck on does not seem to be showing itself.

Possibly, I say possibly, they meaning Arneson do not have this problem?

Also, I belive that a mechanical tie bar assembly is the norm on an Arneson don't you?

HandMan likes this.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Rik , Your right there are thousands and thousands of boats using gallons and gallons of antifouling to stop millions and millions of little barnacles sticking to boaty bits.

If you in your experience have found a way around this billion dollar problem then please share you expertise.

You think that the barnacles recognise an Arneson and dont stick to it ,--Mmm interesting theory.

Yes a mechanical tie bar is normal -I just wondered what he had.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.