Best software for designing Cats

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DHMzip, Jul 26, 2010.

1. DHMzip

DHMzip Junior Member

Hi,

I was wondering what the best way to design a cat would be. As most software (Maxsurf, Fastship, the two I am familiar with) only design half a hull via nurbs surfaces. To get hydrostatics I know you can just tick a checkbox saying your design is a cat, but how accurate is this? what about the tunnel design (or whatever one uses to connect the hulls? what about complicated hull shapes such as wave piercing hulls? Can one design the hull in Rhino and import into Maxsurf to get hydrostatics?

thanks

2. raw

raw Senior Member

The answer to all the above is yes.

Maxsurf has a check box which is used to define if the surface is symetrical or not.

I have also imported from rhino into maxsurf for the purposes of hydro/stability calcs without problems. Hydromax will show the immersed section data which will soon tell you if there is a problem.

no idea of fastship though.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.