Sailmaster 22 centerboard

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Amadi, May 13, 2017.

1. Amadi

Amadi New Member

the fixation of the fall which holds the centerboard of my sailmaster is broken. Who knows how to fix it again ? Thx

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

This is an old S&S design, redone a few different ways, during its production run. My data base shows at least two different hoisting arrangements for the board. You'll need to be a bit more specific about what is wrong with your "fixation" issue. Is it the pivot pin, the lanyard, the lanyard attachment, the hoist or it's attachment, etc. Post some pictures of your concerns if possible. Given the age of this puppy, you'll likely need to perform some laminate repairs, which are straightforward enough, but we'll need to see what you're up against, before reasonable suggestions can be offered.

Contact S&S and get the actual centerboard case/hoist and board drawings, so you know how it was originally intended to be built. The original S&S design is 1631 and was updated to 1743 when Werf Gusto started building them.

3. Amadi

Amadi New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thank you for your reply. It is the lanyard attachment -the rest is ok image.jpeg . Hull number 169

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Come on, really a few words of description . . . Which end of the lanyard? I'll assume the thimble end at the board itself, which the common location for these puppies to let go. It also appears your pin might be leaking. Generally with a boat of this era, you should address all the hardware, remove and renew the pin, fittings, new hoisting lanyard parts, etc. The boat needs to be hoisted high enough to let the board all the way out, though this depends on how S&S arranged the pin. If it's what I think, it can be driven out from one side, possibly port, but you have to expose the fitting and pin first, so you know what you're dealing with. If the pin can be driven out, you just need enough height to let the board drop out in the stowed (or nearly so) position. If the pivot pin keeper has a "keeper" style of arrangement, the board may need to be in a specific position to let it drop out. Again S&S has all the drawings for this boat available, which will guide your efforts at extracting the board. The board doesn't weigh much, maybe 60 - 70 pounds (132 - 155kg), so you can wiggle it out, assuming no swelling or others issues arise, like a jammed lanyard alongside the board. Access from above isn't possible if my memory of these is correct. In rare cases you might need to cut a hole in the top of the case, so you can hammer the board and it's fouled gear out of the case, but most times, you just have to wiggle and cuss a bit to get it free.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.