Best rough water hull you know.

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by xarax, Aug 5, 2006.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Longliner45,

To stir the cauldron of debate just a little more, please se the text of this email.;) ;)

To the Managing Director,
    Alnmaritec Ltd

Dear Mr Millman,

The craft you manufacture have become a subject of debate, as to the suitability of catamarans for use in rough weather. This debate is taking place on Boat Designs forum, http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=153627&highlight=pericles#post153627

It would seem that one contributor to the discussion is unwilling to believe, unless he sees with his own eyes, images of your vessels plunging through waves, strong enough to daunt the heart of the most seasoned mariner.

For my part, I have no such reservations about the seaworthiness of your type of catamarans. Would you consider posting your thoughts on the matter for us to share?

Yours sincerely,

Pericles

3. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

dont take me wrong ,percy,,it is not one inparticular I dont care for,,,its all cats in general,,longliner

4. Verytricky

Verytricky Large Member

In weather I would call ROUGH, I would not want to be in a cat. Thus, whist discussing ROUGH WATER HULLS, I tend to discount cats from the options.

They are good in some areas, excellent in others, but rough water is not the place they excell. They may be OK in the rough, but that is not the point.

First define what you call rough, and I 'll define mine. Then we can get back to the subject - the *BEST* roughwater hull.

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Longliner45,

That's rather like me saying "I don't like Americans." There are 240 million of you. There must be one or two of you guys I could learn to like. :D :D :D :D :D

Verytricky,

Let's see if we get a response from Alnmaritec. Your definition of rough water might consist of a series of rogue waves appearing from Beaufort 12 conditions in which only rubber ducks survive. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/world/newsid_3061000/3061149.stm

Personally, I do not like being on the water in rough conditions in any boat and I do not think that a catamaran is any more likely to founder than a monohull, just because it is a catamaran. We are talking power cats here aren't we?

Pericles

1 person likes this.
  6. xarax

xarax Previous Member

It is not that the tunnel of the catamaran occasionally hits a wave that bothers me. Increased transverse momentum of catamarans means that the probability the wave action can turtle the boat is greater, (once one, only, of the hulls is hit by the wave and this hit puts the boat into a roll motion), isn t it that so?

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I will make it simple

In rough water, rough enough to flip a CAT. I would rather be in a properly built monohull.

Keyword - Properly built Monohull boat, boat that can take a complete broad sided wave large enough to turn it over, return to an upright position in 30 seconds or less.

Can your boat take a flip around and recover?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  8. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Thanks, Great link Pericles, did you see interior how they strap everything down. http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/boats_and_stations/lifeboats/tamar slideshow/page_16
    This lifeboat has a lot of good ideas to look at.

My boat may not do as well but every time I attach something I try to make sure it can take it. I also added three 55 gallon empty sealed plastic containers for extra buoyancy in bridge. With that any my low center, I hope it works.

10. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

percy,,,,,,,wheres the pictures??????????????

11. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Pericles,

What about the other 60 million Americans?
    Did something happen that I did not hear about?

There is a large high speed cat ferry from Cape Breton Is., Nova Scotia to Port Aux Basque (sp?) Newfoundland. It's rough weather "performance" has earned it the title "Vomit Comet". I was supposed to cross on her once but a schedule change put me on one of the traditional vessels.

Tim

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Timgoz,

Yep, I stand corrected.:) 301,574,000 at last count. I'll have more people to like after all.:D :D :D

Up to a couple of years ago, Seacats were crossing the English Channel, but have been withdrawn because of competition from the Channel Tunnel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoverspeed#Incat_81m_Catamarans

A great pity because they were so quick. I made a number of voyages in very rough conditions, without discomfort, as did most of the other passengers. Strong stomachs. the benefits of an island race?:p :p

The route to Boulogne was withdrawn, but has been reinstated by another operator. An interesting story of scare tactics on the high seas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedFerries

I like Boulogne. I must book a daytrip for lunch. Great food and lottsa, lottsa wine. Hic!

So, a wave piercer Catamaran is fine by me. Incat must be doing something right, doncha think? http://www.incat.com.au/

Pericles

1 person likes this.
  13. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Percy,

Do not know where the "pukers" came from, but the Newfies & Cape Bretons are certainly serious islanders!

I myself have a pretty good gut. Wish I could have crossed on the Cat. Think she does close to 50kts.

Tim

14. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Rought Water boat - Size matters

You cant compare a huge cat with a smaller cat.

So lets take 26' sailboat with keel a mast, 26' sailing cat, 26 power boat, and 26' power cat

Which is safer is rough water? What is rough water?
    2 foot, 4 foot, 6 foot, 10 foot waves?
    Probably safest in 10 foot waves is 26 foot sailboat but in 2 foot waves anyone will do.

Now lets double size of boats and waves.
    A 52' sailboat can cross a ocean, a 52' cat can still flip, a normal 52 power boat would have a rough time.

But if we increase boats to 300 plus feet, CAT becomes very stable unless you get a wave of 100 feet.

Size matters... What scales up, doesnt scale down.

15. timshwak

timshwak Junior Member

A wave piercer is fine by me too Pericles. I have sailed on two different Incat vessels all over the world and in some VERY rough weather. It is always uncomfortable when the seas pick up, but the boats handle well. The motions are different than a typical mono hull. That takes a bit of getting used to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.