kort nozzle

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Brian.Lin, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Brian.Lin

Brian.Lin Junior Member

I plan to design a tug.

I have no exeperience for kort nozzle.

Does anyone know about it?

could anyone supply me the study information?

I need some document to decide the diameter of duct and propller, the clearance between duct and hull or any others have to notice.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

"The propeller book" by Gerr will give you the basics. A nozzle has more low end thrust, but more drag.

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I used to put nozzle on every displacement comercial boat, (small tug and offshore fishing boat) and I find the drag was not a problem against the thrust we gain at high and low range.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

There's a fair bit of literature regarding Kort nozzles and related devices.

In very general terms, they tend to improve thrust at low speeds, but create considerable drag at higher speeds. Heavy, pure displacement hulls that need high bollard pull tend to benefit the most.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I never used it on high speed boat, but on displacement it was quite a change with and without.
    I used the Ulstein brand.
    But fo high ot medium speed I tried one on a outboard and it was fantastic. The drag do not seams to be a problem at all.
    The Navy is putting on the small intervention rib boat 200Hp outboard with nozzles and they find the speed was better with them.

6. DMacPherson

DMacPherson Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.