Best place to live?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ron17571, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Cheesecutter

Cheesecutter Junior Member

Queensland would have to be the best spot.Anything north of
    Brisbane, which is just another city.Great weather ,great beaches and great sailing.I mean where do you think all the southern sailors go in winter.Queensland ofcourse.We have the best cruising grounds in the world and we all speak english.And where do all the circumnavigators enter Australia,Bundaberg Queensland.Beautiful one day perfect the next.

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

3. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Yeah Cheesecutter
    Would love to go to Bunderberg, going to Cairns next year hope to drop into Bundy for a while. My son lived there for a while but didn't like the work opertunities so headed back to Toowoomba???

I've gone to Queensland so many times but never dived on the reef, next year make ammends.

4. Cheesecutter

Cheesecutter Junior Member

I suppose people will be leaving Toowoomba an masse as soon as they implement their new water plan.Yuk!

5. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I thought they were not going to do that in Toowoomba. It would be interesting how many places in the world recycle their own waste water.

I wonder if you would recognise your own water when it comes out of the tap. Gee I remember doing that three days ago.

Gives "a night out on the piss" a whole new meaning.

6. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

I like Brisbane it's a great city to call into.
    Bundy is good if you go up the river but the Marina by the entrance is too far to town. Great sandy straights is a miserable area , Tin Can bay is not so hot either. Sailing south along the coast in winter is a beat all the way from up North unless it's the Hurricane season then it's too hot and the stingers make swimming a dressing afair. In the remoter river mouths you cant swim at all because of the biters.

The Whitsundays get interesting, then the reef starts too they are probably as enjoyable as any of the Pacific if you're not looking for cultural difference.

If you get a chance the kent group in Bass straight is a great spot. Then there's New Zealand, that has some magnificent coastlines too.

Tasmania's east and south coast are probably the best crusing grounds in Australia. Port Davey is worth a month minimum. The variable winds mean you can get wind in the right direction by waiting a day or two. The Channel area is a delight of sheltered sandy anchorages nature reserves and uncrowded bays and very good cheap facilities.

But as we say when people patronisingly ask "Whats it really like sailing in Tasmania?" we always say "It's awful........dont come" ;)

Cheers

7. Panama

Panama New Member

Re: Best Place to Live

Many places can be as good as you want to make it.

Panama may be considered if you have a pension such as Social Security. (Yes some of us are old in here). I am approaching this but do not have one yet.

There are places to sail and things to see and do. Cost of living can be very good depending on how you set yourself up. If one is male and single, the night life can be ...well...interesting.

Best if one speaks Espanol and has prior experience in overseas places. It is not for everyone...but...I am having a blast.

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yeah Panama your right, a great place for sure! Straight out of the old west are some of those old banana loading ports -preference Almirante, up by the Boco - del - toro on the Carribean side but here are other places equally good! But Personnally I'd stay out of Panama City or Colon - there again I always was a county boy!

9. Panama

Panama New Member

Re: Best Place to Live

I have been to lots of places and I have to say also that the Philippines was really good. A problem is for us older folks who are from the US is the ticket prices back to the USA if there was need for major health care or one of my kin got sick or needed my help. I went to South East Asia as a young man, and I have to say I would not trade it for the world. Even Vietnam in that time was just beautiful. Just wonderful.

A touch of the swashbuckling spirit, a full sail, and the open sea, beer and barbeque on the beech once in a while, and pretty girls.