Best Outboards for Displacement Craft?

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by CatBuilder, Apr 27, 2011.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Wha...? The water in my black garden hose is very hot, but only when the sun is out. :p

2. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Those Rinnai things aren't very good. A my last house I had to go to a 3/4" gas inlet line (from gas meter on street) for it to work, then unless you had a lot of hot water flow the heating unit would cycle on and off (giving a range of water temp to the shower!).

Now CB I'm not winding you up, I know you very wisely aren't going near propane. My post is really just to ask as to your progress? Things must be going really well as there's been a distinct lack of 'help!' posts from you lately:p

Oops, my bad! I see you do have a couple of other threads running....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That's just it, Brian.

Building a boat involves a strange set of skills and strange materials to understand. However, there is a limited amount of stuff to learn. Once you've done it a few times, it's just the same few, boring tasks repeated over and over and over for thousands of hours.

Additional questions will probably be related to metal health and boredom! Ha ha ha.

I'm a professional, licenced, 100 ton master with more than 20 years on the water, 10 of them also living full time aboard on the hook off grid. I'm not afraid of asking lots of questions when I don't know something. I'd never built a hull before, so I had a slew of questions.

Now that I have built a hull, there is nothing left to ask, other than the outboard stuff and a few odds and ends about dying off a laminate edge, sources for rudder tubes, sources for masts, etc.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

5. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

Ok, all good. But I enjoy reading the various posts about issues, and also tracking your progress, so I hope you find reasons to keep some threads going. Perhaps one with milestones reached? It doesn't always have to be about problems. Like a lot of others here I admire your determination and being frank about stuff. Please accept a 'virtual' pat on the back for progress to date and hope 2nd hull goes without incident.

6. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

I dont think that propane holds the same risks on a cat, specifically, as it does on a mono. The biggest danger with propane is that,being heavier than air,any leakage will migrate to the lowest point,ie,the bilge but on a cat, as long as all the functions required of it are confined to the bridgedeck it should be very easy to prevent this from happening. I wouldnt want propane,or a gasoline inboard in a monohull but would not fear it in a cat as long the instalation is well thought out.
    Steve.

1 person likes this.

7. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I will have propane aboard for cooking, actually.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.