best older hulls for ocean

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Psycho D, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Psycho D

Psycho D Junior Member

i am looking for a pre 90s hull that would make a good rig for chasing tuna off of the California coast. i would prefer it to be trailerable (21' to 24') and have a good layout for fishing. i would like to find a hull that would be worth restoring. i am currently considering Mako, Seacraft, Abermarle, and a 233 Formula. Unfortunately, many of these boats are rare in California. Thanks in advance.
    d

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I often fish for Tuna in a boat derived from the 233 Formula hull. Ours is powered by a pair of Optimax 225 hp outboards. It used to have a pair of 2.5L 200hp carburetted Mercs - and used twice the fuel on average. At trolling speed (8-10 knots) it used to guzzle 40Lph, now it uses about 14.
    The boat makes an excellent fishing platform - in fact it was originally built to poach abalone! If it has any shortcomings, it would have to be that with the true deep-v hull, it is a little tender when at rest or going slowly. ie it rolls quite a bit and is sensitive to weight change. But if you want a trailerable boat, capable of belting its way though just about anything, then I've not been aboard anything better.....

3. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

I have a 1884 25' Grady White "Sailfish"... The hull itself is still like new, because it is so well built. With a slight v-shape, it cuts through choppy waves like nothing. Real stable, sturdy, and dependable. I use it to go tuna fishing out of Gloucester, Mass. The boat is small enough to be trailered, so I highly recomment you look around for a hull like that!

4. WinFlex

WinFlex Junior Member

doh, that's 1984 in my pervious post

5. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

How much are you talking about spending? That might help.

6. Psycho D

Psycho D Junior Member

i am looking to initially invest $10000 to $20000 on a decent hull. Hope that this helps.
    d

7. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

What does the Boat have to include (ex. Engine, Tower, Etc.)

8. Psycho D

Psycho D Junior Member

For the engine, i wanted to get an outboard that i wold eventually repower. BUT, i am about to go look at a 1976 Formula 233 that has a 351 Ford, OMC outdrive. i don't think that i will have a tower on such a short (24' or <) rig. i am really looking for a hull that would be worth putting some time and money into. If i can find an older seacraft, Abermarle, or Blackman i might grab it up as well. Any opinions on the Formula i am about to look at?
    d

9. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

I would personally go for Seacraft. As a second choice Albe. Good luck and keep us updated(here/Hull truth). Also if you need help with your boat this is a good place to ask. Thought one of the many members might not know first hand we might know of a place/person to find out more info.

10. Poor Boy

Poor Boy Junior Member

Look into finding a used Dusky as an option, a friend has one here in S.C. and it's a very well built boat. I have a 20' Seacraft, it's a bit light for open ocean, to me, but that's one of those opinions sure to bring comments.
    You can look on their website, I think it's Dusky Marine.
    They sell factory direct, and handle used boats, too.

11. Dave Guilford

Dave Guilford Junior Member

Got to agree with WinFlex. Grady White is tough to beat for this application. I sold a 1984 Grady White 24' Offshore Cuddy with an inboard Volvo for $18,000 two months ago. Great boats if you can find them.

12. 25 Bertram Fan

25 Bertram Fan RN & Bluewater Enthusiast

My personal choice

As you can tell by my moniker, I prefer Bertram. I took a 1972 25' Flybridge and made an offshore platform that fills all my needs. I live in Slidell, Louisiana and have access to some of the finest offshore fishing in the world off the Louisiana coast. I wanted trailerable, safe, fishable, comfortable and roomy. The dual i/o's were scrapped for bracketed 4 stroke Suzuki's, extra fuel capacity was added, radar and electronics updated, some minor mods (starboard side panels and flooring over motor well) some sprucing up, and I have a solid, sea-worthy classic. The flybridge alone makes her a much more effective AND PRODUCTIVE fishing machine (and adds exciting views when trolling). My wife thinks I spend too much time and money on "Fortune Cookie", but I have a solid classic that still outperforms most new boats 34 years after she was Christened (and her comtemporaries have long been in landfills). We venture up to 100 miles offshore and she always has gotten us home safely in unexpected inclimate weather.

13. Pelagico

Pelagico New Member

Used Older Hulls

If you're in San diego area, email me regarding your search. I'm on the hunt for a similar size cat.

14. rickster

rickster New Member

I Have A 1976 F233 H Thunderbird Boat with two 190 omc legs and a pair of ford V8`s. Do you have any info on this boat? I`am trying to restore this boat

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.