Historic Kirby steam vessels

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Buffalonia, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Buffalonia

Buffalonia New Member

Hello I am looking for information about the types of materials that would be used on the interior of Steam vessels circa 1902. On the interior, there is extensive woodwork on the ceilings and walls and I am apart of a group in the process of restoring such a boat. On many of the walls, between the woodwork there is a stretched canvas material that, so far as I have researched, was used as a substitute in historic homes for plaster walls and ceilings. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the common materials (wood types, canvas type) and what would be an appropriate replacement material. Attached are some pictures of the interior space we are working with - Designed by Frank E. Kirby and Louis Kiel. IMG_4375 copy.jpg IMG_9372.JPG IMG_0415.JPG IMG_3982.JPG

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I'm sorry I can not answer your question directly. However, I would venture to warn you that if the refurbished vessel is required to comply with the current regulations, the volume of wood or combustible material that these regulations allow to be used is very limited. You may have to use approved, limited-quantity materials that mimic the original materials and give it a similar appearance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.