Pontoon Houseboat

Discussion in 'Materials' started by ftjhop, Jul 29, 2014.

1. ftjhop

ftjhop New Member

Looking to build a stationary houseboat from ground up. Planning on using plastic pontoons with aluminum framing to build the foundation of the floor. The boat will be placed in Key West. Looking for suggestions for the decking material-marine plywood, composite material. Concern being the salt water obviously. New to this part of the world. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Aluminum framing, depending on the alloy may corrode quickly. A barge type hull will be more stable and have more load carrying capability. The rest is usually built like a regular frame house.

3. ftjhop

ftjhop New Member

I agree with the corrosion aspect, I work in the coatings trade and that is one of my major concerns. The pontoons I'm looking at are sectional, MDPE construction, closed cell polyurethane foam filled. The framing to attach them all is aluminum. I can change the framing members if need be. The concern is the material needed to start building the sub floor to the house. Any suggestions on a material I can install and any other barrier protection I can use?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I would use exterior treated plywood. Galvanized steel may be a better option for the framing, as long as it is hot dipped. If it comes standard in aluminum, do you know what alloy it is made of? Salt water preserves wood, but is hard on fasteners and any other metal part. Unfortunately what you gain on one end you lose on the other.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.