Best Marine Design Software for Hull Design? (2001-2005)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Admin, Jun 15, 2001.

?

If you could only use one software package, which would it be?

1. Autoship (Autoship Systems Corporation)

34 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. DefCar (DefCar Engineering)

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Fastship (Proteus Engineering)

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. HullCAO (HullCAO)

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Hull Form (Blue Peter Marine Systems)

9 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Maxsurf (Formation Design Systems)

75 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. MultiSurf (Aerohydro)

22 vote(s)
    8.7%
  8. Naval Designer

18 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Prolines (Vacanti Yacht Design)

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  10. ProSurf (New Wave Systems)

37 vote(s)
    14.6%
  11. Rhino (Robert McNeel & Assoc.)

28 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. SeaSolution

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. TouchCAD

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curtisen

Curtisen New Member

Expert Comments Welcome/Needed

We have absolutely no experience on any CAD programs. We want to design and build a new type of surfboard. In an effort to reduce/eliminate time and mistakes we are currently searching for a CAD design, i.e. Maxsurf, Pro/E, ProSurf, MulitiSurf or God knows what that will allow us to study weight distribution, coefficient of friction, and effects of design (how the board handles in the water)(what makes it go faster, more manuverable etc...)

Any advice would be greatlty appreciated. If anyone would like to participate in our venture, we are confident you will be very glad you did. This project, when completed will set the water craft/recreation on its ear. If interested lets talk.

2. BillB

BillB BillB

Best Marine Design Software for Hull Design Poll?

Viewing your Software Design Poll, I was just wondering how viable this poll is! It seems, to get a true opinion on all the software you have listed, one would have to download or buy each, train to be an semi-expert at each, and produce a working ship (boat) to prove the software’s worth. I hardly think the voters have done this. Feedback on my point may clear up my skepticism!
    BillB

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

The above is only a very informal poll to gauge what our forum members are currently using and what they prefer as their core software.

It's certainly not a scientific study by any stretch of the imagination.

A poll such as this (or an article, or whatever else) might be used to decide what to download first, but I would personally not make a decision on any software that I plan to spend a substantial amount of time using without downloading and gaining first hand experience with all the major options.

4. Frans X L

Frans X L Junior Member

I am just starting out with catia v5r13 P2 for boat design.
    I use Hullform9 for lines generation, and then 3d dxf the lines into autcad. I then save as iges and read into catia. I then loft the wireframe to produce a solid of surface model.
    I initially tried adsk Inventor but you cant import wireframes. (I believe the latest version 9 can do that.) the other problem with inventor is that it cant loft to a point. this is easily done in rhino, catia, solidworks etc.
    regards
    Frans X Liebenberg

5. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Frans

I suggest that you review your design methodology. You are going to a lot of effort to create a fair surface in Hullform, then losing a lot of information (and probably fairness) by going through an intermediate step that involves reducing the design to a wireframe, in order to convert it into a format that CATIA can read.

I think you would be surprised at how poor the quality of the surface that CATIA lofts over your sections can be. If you want verification of this, export the surface from CATIA as an IGES NURBS surface and import it into the Maxsurf demo that can be downloaded from our web site. If you use the curvature analysis tools under the Render command, I think you may be disappointed with the number of oscillations and general unfairness of the CATIA surface.

You would be much better off using a program, such as Maxsurf, which can both create a NURBS surface and export it to an IGES file that CATIA can read without any data loss.

6. Frans X L

Frans X L Junior Member

Thanks for the comment.
    The reason, I went for catia, is that I burned my fingers with adsk Inventor. Solid works seemed nice, but the fear was there of getting stuck again not being able to do something. I could not go for something boat specific, as I do civil and mech eng work as well.

What is the ballpark cost in us$ of maxsurf and is there a steep learning curve to use it?. I am learning catia at the moment and that's enough on its own.
    regards
    Frans X Liebenberg

7. Andrew Mason

Franz

CATIA is an excellent program, but I agree the learning curve is steep.

Maxsurf is a lot simpler by comparison, however we have the luxury of being able to focus on one specific design area rather than having to produce a comprehensive general purpose CAD system.

Prices for Maxsurf start around $700 and go up to about $6000, and we have a variety of analysis applications to go with the core modelling application. It all depends on what level of complexity you need in your hull shape and what depth of analysis functions you require. If you need more information have a look at our web site and download the demo program and manuals, or contact me at AndyM at formsys dot com

regards

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

ProSurf 3

How many people have had personnal experience with ProSurf 3 from Stephen Hollister, and in particular the latest version ?
    http://www.newavesys.com

He is currently offering a very attractive price on his latest version. I was looking for comments both positive and negative.

9. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I use prosurf basic, no problems at all works great with other softwares that i use and their export formats such as ghs and iges files are really clean.

great software, very stable, and easy to use.

10. navaldesigner

navaldesigner Member

Naval Designer

Naval Designer is now being intoduced in the US.
    We will probably need some time for users to evaluate, but may be should be added to the list of software to evaluate.
    Thomas

11. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Maxsurf VPP

Is the Maxsurf VPP worth using for a heavy dispacement full keel design to evaluate the effect of the fullness of lines fwd ?

I believe that MAxsurf have announced a major revision of the VPP code, does that mean the old one is no good?

Any experienced users comments please.

12. navaldesigner

navaldesigner Member

Naval Designer review

Naval Designer has been reviewed by Professional Boat Builder magazine. Paper is on latest issue.

13. Andrew Mason

SPAN, the Maxsurf VPP, is suitable for traditional full keel designs.

We have not announced a major revision of the VPP, it is relatively unchanged from what it was a few years ago.

14. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Maxsurf seakeeper

What about Maxsurfs Seakeeper. Does this give VPP in a seaway?

15. Andrew Mason

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.