Unlock code for SEA222 SSB Radio

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by stuartyh, Aug 23, 2008.

1. stuartyh

stuartyh Junior Member

Hi guys My name is Jeff and I have a real problem.
    I have this SEA 222 SSB when ever it is switched on and the usual test routine is finished it just goes into unlock and you cant enter anything or transmit.
    Does anyone know the unlock code for this Radio or what is the method for unlocking it.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thaning u in advance.
    Regards Jeff

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

3. stuartyh

stuartyh Junior Member

Thank you for ur info

Ok Lazeyjack
    thank u for the info but when I try to access their email site I cant seem to be getting through.

I am going to try again in a while and see what takes place.
    So bye for now
    Regards Jeff

4. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

Hmmmm my guess is that it will be unique and with the documents you got when you bought the radio.

5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

If you get really stuck I have the same radio in my yacht. I could copy the 2 eprom contents and email you the files if you can find an electronics hobbyist with an eprom burner ( try the HAM radio network contacts ).

Alternatively I could get them burnt here and post the chips, but my experience of mail in the Caribbean is that it can be unreliable for 'interesting' packages.

The eproms are socketed and easily changed.

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

if we can get it to work man,,, we can sell it,,,hehehehe :D
    can ya believe someone just left this out here laying on the ground,,,heheehe ;)

7. fairbank56

fairbank56 Junior Member

It's not asking for an unlock code. It means the PLL (phase locked loop) circuit is unlocked. The radio needs servicing.

Eric

8. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks fairbanks, yes Jeff already worked that out .

Are you with SEA or a radio tech ?

9. fairbank56

fairbank56 Junior Member

I'm a marine electronics tech with a lot of experience with the 222. Repaired two of them today as a matter of fact. Good old radio's. Just found this forum while surfing around.

Eric

10. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Do you know how to change the allowed frequencies ? I see them in the Eprom listing but the Australian model had some of them blocked but these channels are allowed overseas which is a pain. They should be convertable to the HAM bands as well.

11. fairbank56

fairbank56 Junior Member

Are you saying you can't program any freq you want into the scratchpad memory? I haven't seen one that was not completely "open". But it seems to me that I have some documentation somewhere at work about opening up the 222. I'll look into it this week.

Eric

1 person likes this.
  12. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thanks for your reply

Scratchpad disabled in our models. I presume thats a bit of code in the EPROM.

If you have a hex or bin file of a US model eprom I'd like to give it a try.

cheers

Mike

13. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

File received
    Thank you very much.

14. sidk

sidk Junior Member

Key Pad etc

My Sea 222 keypad is bad. Flex cable melted. I connected a new key pad with correct wiring. Only some keys work..It appears the uprocessor has been damaged. I am not suprised with melted flex cable. I am suprised there was that much current availble. I can only locate the MC 146805E2P in quantities of hundreds. Can you tell me where I could buy one? I used to do radio repair but have been out of the business for years! Sid

15. fairbank56

fairbank56 Junior Member

Sounds like a moisture problem. Have you inspected the bottom of the circuit board in the area of J-3 and R169 thru 176? Checked for continuity/shorts of the pcb circuit traces from resistors to processor? Those resistors should have protected the microprocessor in the event of a short in the keypad ribbon connector. The keypad is a simple 4x4 matrix so you could rule out a bad keypad by just shorting the pins on the pcb...i.e. pin 4 to 5 is number 1, 4 to 6 is number 4...etc. I have no source for the processor but if the boat has a 1612 tuner, it has the same processor so you could swap it to verify that it is indeed the processor.

Eric

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.