Best lube for new O-rings

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by burke, Jul 8, 2014.

1. burke

burke Junior Member

Overhauled all three external Volvo TAMD31P heat exchangers. Got new seals and O-rings. The Volvo service manual does not mention applying any product when re-assembling. Advice for O-rings sealing oil (probably just oil), O-rings sealing seawater, O-rings sealing coolant?

Related question: any lube or product useful when re-inserting cooling hoses in the bronze or aluminum nipples? Not to seal as much as to allow easy disassembly later of a ten year old engine.

Thanks

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

For rubber water hoses the best lubricant is dishwashing liquid. It will not attack or deteriorate the material

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

different o-rings compatible with different chemicals will require different dressings. so make sure you use not only the correct o-ring for the application, but also a compatible dressing or lubricant for it or it may disintegrate.

I think lubricant is important because the o-ring can get pinched or snagged during finally assembly, and damaged, when you can not even see it. I had that happen once, and had to do the job over again, in a place that was difficult to reach. so I always lubricate them now, but you must verify you have the correct o-ring material for the application (they are not all created equal), and the correct lubricant.

good luck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.