best lightweight production beach cruisers

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by oceanhombre, Jun 22, 2007.

1. oceanhombre

oceanhombre New Member

Hello boatdesign world! I would like to solicit your ideas on what production sailing vessels are the best lightweight beach cruisers. My criteria are pretty simple:
    1) Lightweight/Trailerable: Total towing weight less than 1500 pounds (that's the capacity of my Honda Element)
    2) Shallow draft: Capable of exploring Florida Bay and Everglades coastal and inland waterways
    3) Overnight Cruiser: Overnigth accomodations for 2 adults for week long expeditions
    4) Comfort: Good ventilation as well as sun, mosquito and rain protection
    5) Non-powered: Capable of being propelled without power or sail for short distances (rowed/sculled/pedaled/etc.)
    6) Sailing Performance: The final discriminator!

The only two vessels I have found so far are the Norseboat 17.5 and the Sea Perl 21 (mono and trimaran). I considered the WindRider 17 and others but rejected them based on my desire to sleep on the boat and not beach camp.

I am attracted to a deployable tent structure but would consider a boom tent too (as long as it offers good protection from rain and mosquitoes) and would also consider a traditional cabin (if one could be had on a vessel that is still light enough).

Please give me your advice and opinions on all of the above.

thanx!........carey

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.