Best Inside Passage Trawler??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DanRay, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Ya Danny stick around some before you form any concrete ideas about our conversation. That was more of a love tap compared to some of the mud slinging I've seen. This thread actually has a pretty good bunch going and seems to stick to subject pretty well.

lets keep it on track and no worries I'm sure old West and Richard will keep each other honest just fine

cheers
    B

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

In the days before we started importing crappy boats from Florida, PNW designers and builders built boats suited to local cruising needs and conditions. Seaworthy boats that offered enough speed to get from harbour to harbour in a cruising day.

Some will say that Edwin Monk Sr. perfected the inside passage cruiser in 1970 with the launch of his Tryphena. She was fast (16knots top), economical (single 345HP Cummins), seaworthy and roomy, with lots of big windows in her huge interior. Much effort was put into weight saving, no teak decks, aluminum tanks with only 400 gal capacity, red cedar wedge-seam construction with double framing in the forward bilge, and plywood watertight bulkheads. She had a 9HP get-home outboard in a well under the cockpit. The single prop and rudder where well protected by a deep, full keel, and she was round bottomed because Monk felt it offered a more comfortable motion at speed equal to a hard chine hull.

Hard to beat I think.......

EdMonk.jpg

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

your PML 46 I guess, would be a valid replacement (for the OP at least)

Regards
    Richard

4. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

The picture and blurb posted by Tad (very nice Monk design, btw, thanks for posting that) comments on protecting the running gear from Drift, that's something I had forgotten to mention, since we did most of our traveling at 8 knots.

We have a lot of trees and sleeping whales on the water, and regardless of the weather, slower is probably safer. I would shoot for 10-14 knots, too much faster, and you are inviting trouble.

I believe that driftwood and sleeping whales are the reason that Boeing had to stop running the Jetfoils up here in the 1980s, it was simply too dangerous at that speed.

5. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

I can't speak for sleeping whales, but we hit a fair few logs navigating up the passage and it certainly gets your attention, even on a 190+' steel hulled cruise ship and 12 kts. I hate to think what that would do to fiberglass.

6. mark775

mark775 Guest

"My limited experience??? With Alaska..yes..very little,been there twice and have no plans to go back" - The inside passage of Alaska is actually child's play compared to BC, with it's currents, whirlpools, standing waves, fog, wind, substandard facilities, preponderance of "weekender" type boaters out of the cities, etc... so when you gain some experience in Canada, you'll do fine in the beginner level of Alaska, below and inside of 58°30.. Prince William Sound is also a playground in the summer but have it together before venturing anywhere else up here.
    I appreciate the Monk boat post. I didn't realize how much my Lynn Senour design owes Monk - very similar and neither designed for open water. I am also light and fast but I have the ability to tank for heavy weather and do as well as can be expected (I'm alive). I've not seen too many sleeping whales except sperms and they are out at the Rat Islands, 180°E, where my boat shan't go. Fiberglass does just fine when in contact with wood or whale. The running gear doesn't fair too well, however, hence slow speed or single engine. We don't have the lumber of Southeast where I am but I grew up in Washington in the logging heyday and have stripped hulls clean of props, shafts and struts. (We do seem to have a lot of containers here tho and they will hurt) In general, I don't believe speed, per se, to be a danger to travel. In fact, less time traveling is less time to pay attention. If I cud do forty knots, I wud, and simply slow for weather, riplines or poor visability.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Most on this forum gravitate toward the big, heavy and expensive yacht. Well enough if one can afford it but most can't so the ideal inside passage boat may be a 26' Bayliner, a C Dory, a small sailboat, a 22' outboard or a Sea Ray but if in good seaworthy condition, equipped properly, used w good judgement and given enough time most any good boat will be acceptable in SE Alaska. The weather is bad in the fall here so it's best to leave in early September. Less than a week ago we had a bad gale w winds of almost 70 in Thorne Bay and I'm sure it blew 100 at Lincoln Rock. Lincoln Rock is not far from here in Clarence Strait (in the "Inside" Passage) and seas are frequently to usually short and steep even when the tide and wind is in the same direction. Even Apex's mega ton steel monster yacht would want to hide from such conditions so everyone must watch the weather but acceptable progress can be made even w small everyday good boats. I know a man and wife that have cruised SE for many years w a 26' Bayliner and an outboard boat before that. They have 275 anchorings under their keel and I expect them back next year. Equipment considerations should be more like heat, rain gear, ground tackle and experience and experience w the vessel going north than finding a bullet proof passagemaker to protect the skipper.

8. mark775

mark775 Guest

And talk to someone like Easy about tidal currents - you can save much fuel.

9. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Does 25+ years in BC count?

My point exactly,that's what I do.

Exactly....never go out in winter,and big heavy trawlers not required.

Dan:I could post fuel charts but it's not worth my effort,as I simply don't care what he thinks and you notice he won't give any burn rates for a heavy full trawler anyways.
    I know how to read my Floscans,and I know what I get for mpg.

Anyone can PM me,nice videos and reviews of the boat..

Trawler vs semi boat again..suppose you wanted to go to the Gulf Islands for the weekend-40 nm one way.
    Plug in your 8 knot trawle speed,+/- tides and see how much time you spend enjoying the weekend-fishing,crabbing,kayaking,etc...which is very little.

Yes,I'd spend more on fuel-but your "go anywhere" trawler would cost several $100k more...

As for importing,yes I'd go for it...some thoughts:
    -fly down to look at it,hire the best surveyor and lay out the cash while they fight over you....
    -Do your research,it may or may not be worth it to transport it.
    -I've imported cars thousands of times,but never did my 2 boats-not worth my time and hassle-pay a reputable dealer a few grand to do it for you...pay a lawyer a few hundred to read over the agreement....that way no problems..unless you like to do it.
    -I caught size-itis and got a very good deal on a 62' Viking when C$ was 6 cents over par (hated the boat..too big,too much hassle,a regular PITA) and sold it back in the US one year later at 9 cents under par.
    So do the math...

I'm off to Japan and Hong Kong for a couple months as of next week,if u want to have a look at my boat-it's in storage-I wouldn't mind.

If you like it,I know of a repo'd one on the East Coast USA for $225k..which is $125-150k under what they usually go for...a steal.
    Dunno what shipping would be but FOFO is not too bad.

10. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Break in the markets......

Dan...forgot you asked what type to recommend.

I prefer aft cabin boats,get a huge master stateroom with bath,large elevated rear deck and mucho room inside.
    With a 38-40' you get a large forward and rear stateroom with 2 heads,lots of storage and a nice sized galley...some have separate dinettes,some don't.

Typically at 43 to 50' you get bigger for and aft staterooms, often with a tub in the master (closer to 50') and you'll also get another small stateroom for two,and space for washer/dryer usually above 44'.

I prefer not having interior pilotage,I'd rather have that space (99.99 % of the time) used for more living area and pilot up top.And you have a 360 view and you can see the water better.

People may not like the look,but they always are astounded at the space.

If you have a small family,a 38-40 would be adequate.

Silverton
    Carver
    SeaRay (pre 2005)
    Meridian

Friend bought one of these haven't seen it yet but he just loves it:

Click on the pix and check out the space,huge galley etc
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...taten-Island/NY/United-States&boat_id=2241299

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thats not true, and not fair to impute!

But not even knowing with what to compare, what should I post? So what is your boat? I guess you would have no problem to post the main data here. I then would find a comparable vessel to do the math´s.

12. MatthewDS

MatthewDS Senior Member

I should probably note that my recommendations are for all season use. We used to spend the summers gunkholing and the winters deer hunting.

Much of my advice is colored by winter boating, where you see 80 knot Taku winds, freezing spray, and generally much harsher conditions than those seen by summer-only visitors.

13. mark775

mark775 Guest

Winter is a different animal, indeed ... And much better cruising!

14. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

There are nice days in the dead of winter and we love to go a couple of miles out into Clarence Strait and just gawk at the white wilderness ...and then come right back home.

Easy Rider

15. mark775

mark775 Guest

I love a secure mooring in a wild and a heavy, wet snow- and then breakfast in the calm, white morning after. You have nice winters. Here, it just blows.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.