Best free/low cost for small aluminum boats

Discussion in 'Software' started by cstephl, Jan 24, 2006.

1. cstephl

cstephl Junior Member

I plan to design a 18'-24' welded aluminum boat w/variable deadrise and reverse chine. Bottom(3/16") and side sheets(5/32") will be slightly convex (not more than about 1.5"). The bottom sheets will be warped, however all curves will be developable. I want to be able to enter table of offsets or draw the hull shape, then be able to convert the drawing to flat sheet dimensions (2D offsets?). Then I will layout the dimensions on flat sheets of aluminum and cut them out.

Which low cost/free software will do this without having a huge learning curve?

I have already built one hull like this and want to design another hull of similar shape but different dimensions. My biggest concern with using software to design this boat is that the sheets will be somewhat convex due to warping the bottom. Will these software packages compensate for that and still provide correct cutting dimensions for flat sheets?

The ability to calculate the design water line would also be useful. Any feed back on this subject would be much appreciated.

cstephl

2. CET

CET Senior Member

FREE!ship

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

I love the way that pops up so regularly!:D

4. nero

nero Senior Member

TouchCAD. www.touchcad.com

It does exactly what you are trying to do. There are tutorials online and in the TouchCad gallery there are examples of boats already made that way.

Learning curve is not too steep. Excellent tech support. If you get stuck in trying to do something, they will help you out there also!

5. cstephl

cstephl Junior Member

Thanks for the tip you guys. I just downloaded freeship and started playing with it. Very cool and I am sure I will enjoy learning how to use it. I am impressed that software like this is available for free!
    cstephl

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.