Lake Michigan Cruiser

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Armymedic, May 2, 2014.

1. Armymedic

Armymedic New Member

Hi I'm new here. I'm looking for a sailboat design I can explore Lake Michigan on that has to meet a few requirements and I'm having difficulty finding a design thats right for me. Ive made a stitch and glue dory before but i am looking for something a bit more challenging. The requirements are as follows.

1.it needs to be able to handle average Lake Michigan conditions and be able to safely get me to port in case of rough weather.
    2.it needs to be trailerable and easily launchable from a ramp.
    3. it has to have a below deck large enough for a head (my old lady puts this at the top of the list.)
    4. it must be relatively simple for a newish sailor to handle with a minimum crew of 2 persons.

Im not overly concerned with performance, only that it stays upright and gets me where I want to go. Im in no hurry.
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone has to offer.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Eun Na Mara... looks good and I believe it fulfills all your requirements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There are a lot of options on this. Pinning down a size range will help considerably and the size of the head needs to be better defined as well. There's a big difference between a port-a-pottie, stowed under a V berth and a real, enclosed head with standard size facilities. A full head will need a 24 - 25' boat, minimum. Some have shown them in smaller boats, but these generally aren't very practical.

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What is your interest in building a boat vs going sailing?

My guess is you can find a used, perhaps very used, "trailer sailer" for less than the cost of materials including fasteners, rigging and sails to build a boat.

6. Armymedic

Armymedic New Member

Thanks guys those are both cool designs, I've been reading on the Pelican and it seems pretty ideal, that squared off nose is a little ugly. But ugly has character sometimes. The second one is sweet looking. this gives me some things to consider.
    Im considering making one just for the pleasure of wood working, I'm an art student that likes woodworking, I've never sailed, but I think it would be enjoyable to sail around in something I create myself, also it may cost more in the long run to build but i don't have to have all the money in a lump sum i can simply buy what i can afford at the time and work up to it.
    Thanks for the help guys, both of these designs are pretty cool and deserve some thought, I've ordered some books on cedar strip building since i think the final result is a beautiful appearance also.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.