best da sander available

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by nevilleh, May 29, 2011.

1. nevilleh

nevilleh Junior Member

Hi All,

We have up till recently been happy with our 3m air DA sanders and i thought that I had finally come accross something better than sliced bread.

However I recently tried an electric Festool DA sander and was extremely impressed with its power.

Ideal for the hard work taking down gelcoat with 40 grit etc, a bit heavy but 3 times as powerful as the 3M air DA.

Can anyone recommend what sanders they use?

We are talking production level here and subject to several hours a day work.

Thanks in advance. Neville Scotland

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I have a Mirka Ceros electric sander (due to lack of air) which, with its 22 volt brushless motor, is extremely powerful.

I sold a couple to customers, and they all like it.

3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

The Mirka is probably the best electric sander you can get. Extremely compact, comfortable for one hand yet powerful and easy to handle. And the quality is top.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I now have 2 which I am selling. If anyone is interested...

5. keith66

keith66 Senior Member

I have just rebuilt a Sealey ER150 random orbital sander, i put a new switch, brushes & front bearing & pad axle set in it.
    I purchased it new 20 years ago & have caned the hell out of it, its well made, well balanced & the best sander i have ever used. I would have bought a new one but at £350 i thought it worth rebuilding the old one!

6. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

Rupes for us (superyacht painters).

Slow/controlled start-up, speed control on some. Seem to be good dust extraction, hard wearing.

If you are only wanting to quickly remove/sand with rough paper the planetary sanders will cut even quicker than a da. We sand filler with the planetary and use the da after that.

We use the 200mm as well as 150mm. (dunno if you can get 200mm paper in UK. Some countries don't stock it)

Electrical sanders seem to have more torque so cut faster. The downside is the extra weight for user. Arguably more expensive in long run as the brushes need replaced every so often.

Festos are great but have non-standard bits/paper. Expensive.

www.rupestools.co.uk

1 person likes this.
  7. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

To sound stupid... what's a "da" sander?

8. mastcolin

mastcolin Senior Member

"da" - dual action. The pad rotates around central axis and within this motion it makes small (3-7mm depending on model) circular motions. Provides finer surface with less obvious scratch marks.

We use 3mm throw sanders for interior lacquer work. We use larger for exterior.

Not to be confused with "you da man". This has nothing to do with sanding:)

9. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

10. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You want to try a Mirka Ceros. Electrical, high amps, so high torque, brushless, and lightweight. (and low noise). Available in several throws, 2.5, 5 and 8mm (and in 125 and 150mm)

11. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

I see none of you are from the states.... I use to buy expensive air tools and they lasted a year or better to about 3 years with heavy use building a boat and messing with cars. I paid 200 - 400 US. Now I go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy air tool for about 35 US then a 2 year warrenty for about $15. I have a in-line air sander I paid 39.95 it broke after about 6 months, when I dropped it, I took it back to replace it - that day it was on sale for 19.95 so they replaced it free and gave me 20 back. I've had it now for 1 1/2 years.

12. Eliseviv

Eliseviv Junior Member

Thanks Colin, you da man :)

As it turns out I have been using an air driven 200mm and 150mm "da" sander, but when it was recommend to me it was called a "mudslinger". and yepp - Loved them!!

13. Pitter

Pitter New Member

I need a DA sander for auto body work. I don't have much idea about it as i am a nob. I have searched a lot on the internet to get the best one. I went through inspiringhomestyle , they have reviewed few sanders. After reading the article I just decide to take PORTER-CABLE 7346SP for my work. Is it full fill my purpose?

14. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Dynabrade is the hands down best sanders and polishers I have owned over all these years. They are not cheap but they are durable and perform admirably well.

15. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

festool quarter sheet
    waiting like 3 years for my Ryobi 10 yo ro to die so I can justify festool price for new ro
    cheap abusable air sander