URGENT - Mercruiser Bravo 3 Dimension

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Willallison, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I urgently need to find the width required for a Bravo 3 drive in both the tilted and down positions.
    We are installing some supports for a boarding platform and need to now how much space to leave for the drive

If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Will,
    I have the clearance drawing for the Bravo 3 - see attached - but it is a profile view only. I'd think if you take an arc of radius 1105mm in the horizontal plane at a height "A" above the input shaft, the endpoints of the arc being the limits of steering travel plus the propeller radius, that would be the clearance you're looking for?

Attached Files:

3. Willallison

Yes - thanks Matt. I have that drawing too. Problem is I don't know the steering angle limit....
    If all else fails I could be conservative and say that it would be less than 40 degrees, but I'd rather know for sure....
    I can't quite figure the trig in a hurry...what about when fully tilted...would the width be the same, more, or less?

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As far as stuff bolted to the transom is concerned, I think swinging the drive lock to lock when fully tilted is the most restrictive condition. The upper gear casing on a B3 is fairly slim, it's banging the trim rams or the anti-ventilation plate on something while it's tilted up that I'd be worried about.....

I checked through all the usual sources and couldn't find a top view of the B3 at full steering lock.... that clearances profile drawing is the only one I can find that seems relevant.

I can see why you'd rather know for sure.... still, I get the feeling that Merc just doesn't think people will mount stuff close enough to the drive that lateral clearances would matter that much. The CAD drawings they provide aren't scaled properly, and when I try to sweep the tilted-up profile through a typical steering arc, the resulting dimensions make no sense.

Sorry I can't be of more help....

5. Willallison

Thanks Matt. There's a stack of both pdf and dxf documents available here:
    http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/main?type=corp

There's some that are useful - though none show the swing. The max angle is apparently 30 degrees, which is about what I'd expect.

In the end, I shoved the leg into place and lifted it approx into the various positions, so all should be well.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.