Best colours for visibility at sea

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Leo Lazauskas, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Schoonner

Schoonner Senior Member

[​IMG]

EDIT::
    Wow! that was weird. I lost the post. I didn't mean to send it, but it did anyways because I was looking at the last page and not this one.

Anyways, this looks like good stuff, and it is orange even. Just like Nemo.

Also, I meant to tell you that uv dyes are used for things like hunter's day glow orange clothing and it probably isn't all that expensive. I bet day-glow-orange with black leopard spots would go very well on a sail. I would look for damaged sails and try dying them to see what happens. If all else fails, you might do tie-dye strings and make white and day glow orange tie-die. coat then dye it with like concentrated uv/clear looking dye or something. idk how sails are made and whether they are cotton or what.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I have had no experience with UV screen clear coats, except to the point that I have been advise that it is not effective.

The chemist that worked at the paint company I worked at says it is like making clear sunglasses. If you want the sunglasses to work properly, they have to be tinted.

It is not only the sun that destroys a coating and the paint used in road signs do not have the wind, rain, salt spray, the abrasion from marine creatures as well as the sun.

Maybe an answer is to accept the fact that the paint is going to fade but make the coating thick enough so it can be rubbed down with a cutting compound to remove the faded layer of paint.

Poida

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Like gelcoat.....................:idea: maybe some ORANGE &LIME DAKTARI STRIPES(Zebra) with some "conspicuity" tape for boot top & cove/sheerline enhancement.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/.../Offerings/Products/Veh_Conspicuity_Markings/

4. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Michael,

A little out of topic as this is about "electrical visibility". (my apology to Leo):)The topic discussed has solid reference in Electronics Design-Antenna as shown attached.

Hope the information is of use for the composite boatbuilders out there.

Attached Files:

5. rxcomposite

I don't know if this has any bearing but I have seen on animal video documentary that the "Zebra" stripe is a natural defense and is a disadvantage to partially color blind (lions). It confuses the predators and sees the stripes as blur when it moves. Could be the same thing for humans who are partially color blind?

6. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

No apology needed.
    I am interested in the ship being visible by humans, as well as being
    apparent to radar and other systems. In other words, "opposite" to
    the stealthy ship shown in the first post.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The more I google Metalized eglass the more I realize that there is a whole world of fabrics for EMI shielding. I have not yet found any literature linking the metalized fabric to a denser radar image.

8. rxcomposite

You won't. Aluminized glass fabric is dense, heavy, and unreasonably expensive for the purpose and did not become popular. Carbon fiber or wire mesh does the job better.

Radar works by reflecting back the energy waves but it takes very little material to reflect it. A large, thin, metalic surface area (even if it so full of holes) would reflect the energy waves. It is the surface area that counts. An inflated metalized/conductive mylar balloon has a much better chance of being "seen" by radar in foul weather.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A metal mesh applied within the laminate will serve well for reflective purposes. This is also a common way to improve an antenna base.

I don't think being seen is an especially difficult thing, given the choices. A strobe works very well, reflective materials, florescence, improved radar signatures, etc. If you're serious about being seen, some or all of these techniques and materials can be employed. In the end, the biggest mitigating factor is luck. There have been many search and rescue efforts that were many miles off course, because of a typo or last known plotted position. With GPS and EPIRB this is becoming rarer. Personally, I see no reason to worry, if you're reasonably prepared and equipped.

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I concur PAR. It's probably more important to keep a good look-out.

Also, a good radar reflector can boost your radar reflectivity a great deal, especially if mounted aloft.

-Tom

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The purpose of primary high visibility thru colour scheme is to achieve visibility when everything has been swept clean of the deck. Particularly useful for airborne search and rescue identification.

as for radar...the reason you carry a SART is because lowprofile yachts, even with best practice radar reflector placement are , a poor target in a seaway.

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The many suggestions about reflective panels and colour schemes has been
    very helpful. I asked the question because I thought some of the
    answers might be of interest to the wider boating community, and frankly
    I'm amazed at the number and the quality of the responses.

My particular (very scary!) design folly concerns unmanned SES of about
    250 tonnes travelling at 60-70 knots, so visibility (short- and long-distance)
    is an issue.

Thanks to all who have responded! I will be out of internet range
    for a few days so apologies if I don't answer posts, PM's or emails quickly.
    Leo.

13. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Forgive me for going OT, but it is rather related. Its always bewildered me that we are concerned with visibility on the sea, or in other inhospitable environments (up mountains) on construction sites, railway and so forth, but I've never heard it raised with respect to ordinary road transport, i.e. cars. Now this is not so much an issue for the dry, sunny parts of the world, but here in the U.K., it is quite common to have less than perfect driving conditions, dusk, poor light, low sun, driving rain, spray. Headlights on helps a great deal in all such conditions, but vehicle visibility is surely hindered by the fact that maybe two thirds of cars are painted in a spectrum of road colours - pale greys and silvers, dull and dark blues/greys, through to black. Ever tried to pull out in difficult visibility, and despite looking in your mirrors as carefully as possible, you are borne down upon by a fast moving grey vehicle with no lights on?

Not grinding any axes here, my own car could certainly be a brighter shade of blue, just curious as to why we don't have any interest in bright red/yellow/orange/hivis/chevronned cars?

14. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

They have done studies on cars and trucks painted bright yellow. Results tell is that this color is highly visable in all conditions and greatly reduces accidents. So it works...
    The problem is getting the buying public to buy bright yellow cars. Next, the dummies will pass a law saying what color car we must drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Stan has raised a valid point, which is you can't legislate stupid out of the population.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.