Best Colour for a...

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Saf, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Saf

Saf Junior Member

Best colour for a racing boat is dark blue or black!

Best colour for a cruising boat is black or dark blue!

That's what a friend of mine said to me when I asked him what would be the best colour for a boat if you get one!

Personally, I want my boat to be Black! Love it, although it will need alot of care "Varnish"! No problem with that, it will be some fun work to do love varnishing!

Think black is taking over white now! Black boats looks much nicer than any other colours!;)

What would your boat colour be? ;)

2. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

In a perfect world, red, but because it fades to pink I'll stick with white.
    Black is cool, makes boats look fast, stealthy.

3. Saf

Saf Junior Member

The worst colour for any boat is green! Makes me feel sick! :mad: hate that colour

4. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I love white glossy gelcoat, white glossy gelcoat for me!

I vote for white, I love glossy, sunglasses needed ,bright white gelcoat or PU, its the tops, stripes are ok for colours, but for me I go white- its the goods for wood & composites esp in hot climates, white is cooolest for me:D , although I do like the look of clear finished carbon fibre accessorys teamed with some high gloss timberwork & agree that black & blue looks good & extra good with a gold cove stripe, & I even had a norfolk green yacht that looked nice with a teak deck & cream cabin sides, a mate also painted his yacht blue one side & red the other but later decided to go blue both port & stb, yellow has some benefits but resale aint one of em, my dad had a yellow yacht - the guy he sold it to repainted & cashed in, all really a personal chioce thing. All the best from Jeff.:D

5. Saf

Saf Junior Member

I think you see white everywhere nowadays! The way you talked about it though is really good... yellow is another colour I wouldn't want to see my boat like that! Like some giant lemon floating in the sea, people would think your boat is some buoy and go round you:D !

I think we should have colouring rules stupid wired colours are not allowed in some areas!:D

I know that's not fair but I can't stand them!!

:eek:

6. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Mine's red and blue now.... the problem with dark colours like black is that they really heat up in the sun, sometimes enough to decompose the upper layers of resin in the laminate.

7. Saf

Saf Junior Member

How long would it take for that to happen?:confused:

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

On a hot day in Bermuda, maybe three to six hours with most boat resins, although if you get the $750/pail hi-temp epoxies used in fighter planes it wouldn't be a concern.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Another problem with black or dark colors is scratches and gouges show up easily. Unfair fairing becomes apparent also. That's two reasons why white is popular. Sam

10. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Too true! Therefore in one offs it tends to be much more costly to have a dark clour.

11. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You fellas need to read up on the history of ships. Ships and small boats were painted black for two reasons. In northern climates it kept the ship warmer and dry. Plus it didn't show the tar. Black absorbs heat, which you need in northern climes. In southern climes they were painted white for the opposite reason. To keep the ship cool and not dry out the planks.

In fact they would actually repaint the ship as they went south and then paint her black again when they came north. In the summer she would be white and in the winter black.

Personally I like blue, a midnight blue

Decks on warships were painted red so they wouldn't be disturbed by the blood.

These days with FRP and gel coat you can have any color you want and it doesn't matter much.

12. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

dont laugh ,,,,,,just painted my sailboat fantasia blue ,with the mahogony and white decks,,looks really good ,,,back to your boat, paint it bright colors ,so even if you lose the race ,,,,,you still look good,,,longliner

13. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

Green: All of the fishermen leave when you get close.
    Red: All of the contrabanditos take off when you get close.
    Yellow: Everone wants a tow.

I guess I'll go with Blue.

14. Saf

Saf Junior Member

Totally agree with the blue colour as long as it's dark! Looks sp sexy!:p

15. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The blue does look nice, I must admit, if you do it right... look at a $10m yacht and a $20m yacht of the same length.... odds are the cheap one's white and the fancy one's blue. Classy if you can swing it. I really don't like the idea of dark colours in the tropics though, especially not with cheap fibreglass.